General Dance Discussion > Machismo and Leading

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Albanaich, Mar 15, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sure... opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one...generally speaking, Max's posts are simply of the highest quality that we ever see around here...having said that, we guard everyone's right to yammer on as long as they stay reasonably respectful of one another

2. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

3. fascination

darling:cool:, max is not out of the picture until I say he is, but your offer is well recieved;).....

in truth, I tend to gravitate toward the more aloof brainy sort who keeps his can of whoop--- well in check for only the most deserving moments...as I have enough unbridled aggression on my own

4. fascination

but I am terribly fond of wolves ;)

5. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Woof, woof. . . .

6. fascination

persistant cuss...I do respect that

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Alpha males, be they human or animal, rarely have to advertise their status. They sometimes have to demonstrate it for upstart betas, but they don't have to go around displaying. The rest of the group/pack/troupe/studio knows who the alpha is without his having to be obnoxious about it.

To use an example that should offend no one (except our gorillas, and since Kit, Okie ,and Joe, don't to my knowledge have laptops yet, they won't care) the alpha silverback doesn't go around showing off and harassing other males or pushing around the females. He doesn't have to. Kit, when he's in with the others, responds to Okie and Joe bugging him, but he doesn't pick fights with them himself. (Unfortunately a couple of our females pick fights with HIM. The younger boys stay in with the girls all the time because they've learned, mostly, to stay out of Kiki's way while Kit won't. Demonstrating the one thing that can really upset an alpha male is an alpha female.)

And another group uses terms like "alpha male" and recogizes them when they see them--anthropologists and primatologists.

8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

OT: It's the phrase "our gorillas" I found intriguing, to say the least. For a moment, I thought you were referring to the men at your studio. Enlightenment ensued: I gather you work in a facility that has gorillas-for-real.

How cool is that!

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

You rang? :)

10. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Perhaps even more amusing is the fact that 'Shag' is euphemism for copulation in British English. . . . .

One could get the impression that not only are the men gorilla's they are also to be found in a brothel. . . .

There's the story about the British politician who was rendered speechless when offered an evening 'shagging' in Carolina.

11. 2totango

2totango New Member

And you do know that the shag is the official state dance of South Carolina and is very popular on the coast, right?
    On the flip side, there is the story of the Carolina girl who happily accepted an invitation to "go shagging", not knowing she had not been invited to dance.

12. kayak

kayak Active Member

My day was way too serious until I read these :D How are your evangelistic WCS efforts to promote one legged whips and anchors going?

13. danceronice

The person who came up with that name posts here quite a bit. As he is from the UK, believe me, he knows. If you like I will direct him to this thread and let him expound upon it.

Re the gorillas, one is even quite famous. Okay, infamous. Okay, so the exhibit has been fixed and no, he canNOT get out again. (I have many jobs. This is one of them. Back to necropsy reports...)

14. fascination

let's not feed the fire

15. danceronice

You know him--we'd probably get two words max. Heck, I WORK there and I don't even try to explain.

I actually looked up the Carolina Shag on youtube--it's a very...strange, yet interesting...looking dance.

16. 2totango

2totango New Member

It is a lot of fun! There's lots of attitude involved; its the girls job to look bored and keep the beat while the guy shows out. Your legs move, but your upper body doesn't so much. And, the best part about it is the beach music.....

17. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Why?

(And, by the way, you might consider improving your technique at argumentum ad hominem---too obvious.
    The bad thing with the technique is that it always blows up on novices---makes them look really bad to the audience.
    Check the wiki article---it's a good place to start)...

m

18. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

If your username can be taken as indication that you might be talking about standard, I'd point out that the end of a figure in those dances sees you in a continuing to move condition, not a stopping one. That natural stopping point in something like waltz is when you are at the top of the rise, not at the end of the figure which occurs after you have lowered - that's a natural keep moving point, unless you lower in a "dead" way that purposefully discards the energy normally gained from lowering.

Normally, once you have lowered your options to make a change in choreography are limited to those following figures that begin with a step or two of movement in the direction in which you are already moving. Turns out that most of the syllabus precede-follow groupings (excepting tango of course) illustrate this.

19. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

It's also worth remembering that 'Rock 'n Roll' was also a euphemism for sex in the African American community. . . . .

20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The word "rock" had a long history in the English language as a metaphor for "to shake up, to disturb or to incite". In 1937, Chick Webb and Ella Fitzgerald recorded "Rock It for Me," which included the lyric, "So won't you satisfy my soul with the rock and roll." "Rocking" was a term used by black gospel singers in the American South to mean something akin to spiritual rapture. By the 1940s, however, the term was used as a double entendre, ostensibly referring to dancing, but with the subtextual meaning of sex, as in Roy Brown's "Good Rocking Tonight." The verb "roll" was a medieval metaphor which meant "having sex". Writers for hundreds of years have used the phrases "They had a roll in the hay" or "I rolled her in the clover"[6]. The terms were often used together ("rocking and rolling") to describe the motion of a ship at sea, for example as used in 1934 by the Boswell Sisters in their song "Rock and Roll"[7], which was featured in the 1934 film "Transatlantic Merry-Go-Round",[8][9] and in Buddy Jones' "Rockin' Rollin' Mama" (1939).

Check out "Country - the Twisted Roots of Rock and Roll" for more on this.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=rt...i=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PRA1-PA31,M1
    type rock in the search box.
    Stay with it at least through page 33 when he writes about how country musicians were in on this, too.