General Dance Discussion > Machismo and Leading

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Albanaich, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

So you position is female dance partners are like crocodiles? Sounds like a fun DF's edition of "Man vs Wild" - Albanaich takes on the teenage women of Scotland :)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this thread's rather trippy... heh

i think there's something to be said for "being in one's power" in order for the dancing to work, whether that's in a masculine way or a feminine way. it's just the lay of the land...the way energy works & mixes together.

an insecure and weak-energied male lead paired with a dominant and completely unreceptive feminine follow is flipping partner dancing into an awkward reverse.

4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Quote:
    an insecure and weak-energied male lead paired with a dominant and completely unreceptive feminine follow is flipping partner dancing into an awkward reverse.

And oh boy, do you see a LOT of that out there in the real world!:lol:

5. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Come on Kayak - I have a sensitive side :)

Not in cultures that admire machismo I think. . . . . .

6. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

And where do we Americans get this idea? From our European ancestors, who imposed *their* cultural values on the native populations of the countries they conquered... Common practice throughout history for people of all cultures, but that's another topic.

Back on topic...
    If that's what you were seeking, then my straightforward answer is this person you mentioned in your original post was just a jerk. The people in the group understood the context of his behavior, saw it as rude, and acted accordingly (by punching him), which you agreed with by saying "problem solved."

But you say your Italian partner likes 'machismo' in her partners. You have a different definition of it than she does. I'm sure hers is more about "self-confidence, etc." than it is the rude behavior you mention as "inappropriate". I'm sure she doesn't mean the men who "pick on shy women."

7. kayak

kayak Active Member

This is true! Compared with your Youtube grumpy dance critic persona, we get the soft teddy bear Albanaich :p

8. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Oh my God you didn't....

Sorry, you've just lost all credibility whatsoever by actually thinking to suggest that Steve Irwin is even a stereotypical Australian, let alone one against which people can assertain even the slightest hint of what it is to be Australian.

You clearly do not know Australia or Australians. I am actually deeply offended that you would even think to assume I was anything like Steve Irwin.

I have spent significant time dancing with Middle Eastern women, Japanese women, Australian women, American women and Spanish women - plus had one off dances with women of plenty of other nationalities. None of which have ever asked me to be macho. In fact, I get an overwhelmingly positive response to being a gentleman. Women like to be treated confidently, but well and with respect and deference to their own wishes on the floor, and not manhandled.

You've lost it. You're wrong, end of story.

9. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Or perhaps, just perhaps, that's just your partner and not a cultural attitude?

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

From that wiki article linked above:

Now, while any idiot can edit wikipedia, in the words of Inigo Montoya, "You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Someone can be masculine without needing to dominate. ESPECIALLY in leading. If I don't backlead it's not because I "wouldn't dream" of it. It's because I'm being given a clear, confident lead that I can understand but which isn't trying to shove me into something. I'm most likely to backlead the macho idiot who is trying to shove me around the floor-or simply to drop out of contact and let him do what he likes.

"Machismo" carries an air of posturing. True alphas do not posture overtly or attempt to dominate for the sake of it. They don't have to.

As for it working in the bedroom as on the dance floor--confidence is sexy. Domineering is not.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I'm wondering, Albanaich...what quality would dominate "machismo"? I mean, if one man had it, and another man were more dominant, what is it that he'd "have"? Also...would you consider yourself the possessor of "machismo"?

12. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Loved that movie (gorgeous Robin Wright).

Now that Prince Humperdinck---there's the absolute model of "machismo" ;)

m

13. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yes! Yes! Yesssss!!!!! :doh:

14. Dave

Dave New Member

If we're doing movies, that must be When Harry Met Sally...