Tango Argentino > Macho and cultural differences.

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I would say, our tango community is slightly on a leaders-heavy side in general, regardless of leaders' gender.
    What do you mean by the dynamics? The community is very diverse and fast growing. Right now we have more than one milonga happening on any given night, so everybody can find his or her nich, more or less.
    I do not lead in milongas btw, only in classes. Perhaps, one day.

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Is this their inner "Nietzsche"? :cool: (God, I'm being a nerd this evening)

Ah OK it's similar to elsewhere. I just imagined that you would have milongas where many of the women asked each other to dance, and the men sat there, slightly bewildered :rolleyes:. Or something like that!

Do you get many men learning to follow in the classes?

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

We have some of the former (not much, although I have heard complaints from the gents that last night they wanted to dance with such and such lady, but alas, she was busy leading :) ) and a lot more of the latter.

My teacher leads all his male/leaders students in classes regularly. It is a part of the learning process. I have seen other instructors do that, too. In practicas, I see guys practice following all the time.
    I haven't seen that many men come to a "regular" class with the sole purpose of learning the follower's role. However, I encountered quite a few men taking "follower tehcnique" classes and workshops.

We do have same-sex classes, classes directly advertized as "gay friendly", classes where people learn ways of switching lead and follow during one song. I do not take those, but from the videos I have seen, I might guess that is where you can meet more males who predominantly follow.

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

On a side note, isn't making fun of people's spelling mistakes and typos against this forum's rules? :rolleyes:

5. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Sorry if I caused offence. I was trying to be witty, rather than taking the mick :confused:. You can blame it on my "British" SOH ... :cool:

6. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Interesting :
    - I'm pretty sure that in the UK most men wouldnt go near a "follower technique" class. It would be seen as "too gay".
    - Ditto a male teacher leading male students : it would be seen as "a little peculiar" (though that could be because men rarely follow here, so havent got the first clue about what to do)
    - Most men in my local group wont even swap roles in a class ..

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Occasionally I follow because I think its a hoot; I've led and followed Korey Ireland, Mike from Cardiff and one of my local friends. Someone says as a teacher I should be wearing heel!; so if anyone has a size 7.5/8 Cifs they don't want ;)

8. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

"Nietzsche"??? You're not being a nerd you're being an anarak :-(

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Yup. Teaching requires a skill in good eyesight along with college degree in child psychology:D

10. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Thank God - that's OK then ;)

I remember watching Fernando (Ghi) following. He had a pair of canary yellow heels on. And he was fantastic dancing in them! Wish I had the photoes ...

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

and infinite patience, a sense of humour, a little pzazz.

I try to teach as if I'm sharing something interesting with friends