Country and Western > Macho (Dancing) Men

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Oct 23, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

So here's an observation for you. Out there, at least in American society, there's this perception that dancing is for girls or women, and many places that you go are follow-heavy, big time. There's even a stereotype out there about guys in certain dance disciplines being gay or "sissies." We've talked abut that in other threads.

So what's the deal with country and western dance? That appears to be something completely different. At least in my observation, C&W dancing men have this really positive image -- big, macho, tight-jean wearing, dancing cowboys.

So what's the difference?

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Dunno 'bout CW, Pygmalion, but line dancing looks pretty sissy to me, compared to hip-hop, salsa or some forms of modern dance...

3. motardmom

motardmom New Member

I just wonder what testosterone-charged, chick-lovin' man would choose C&W over Salsa? It's beyond me. Salsa is so..... hot! Why wouldn't a man want to salsa with a beautiful woman? It's the perfect excuse to appreciate the feminine beauty in close proximity and some contact with full permission. You would think they'd be knocking down the doors, standing in line....

Some men just don't have a clue. :roll:

4. pygmalion

Uh-oh. Sounds like a challenge to me. :roll: :wink:

5. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Thank you, Motardmom...I so agree! That's one of reasons I love dancing salsa. :D :D :D

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You just reminded me of one line dance we were taught. Called "The Cowboy". It had a hip wiggle in it.

7. pygmalion

And as much as I hate to admit it, I've spent a fair number of hours ogling those tight-jean wearing cowboys while they line dance. Nothing sissy about it. Can you say ,"real man?" :wink: :lol:

8. tacad

tacad New Member

(Hmmm. Now where did I put those tight jeans and cowboy hat?)

tacad rummaging frantically through his closet

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Oh darn it! I've been slimming down (Pilates) so my jeans fit me a bit looser than before. And you can already see what my hat looks like. Guess a tam won't cut it. Nor a kilt.

Hey, they don't say which country, now do they? [grin]

----------------------------------
    From The Devil's Brigade, the scene where Montana lumberjacks are hassling Richard Dawson in his uniform kilt and his date (one of Mudd's Women, the brunette):
    Lumberjack: Who does what to whom?
    Dawson: It's optional, mate.

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Now, don't get me wrong, I used to go out with a cowboy! What a he-man! He didn't engage in any dancing, although he played a mean guitar! I still think cowboys are sexy, but PUHLEEZ, no line dancing. Reminds me of that silly folk dancing they taught us in gradeschool. :evil:

11. pygmalion

LOL. I know what you mean. I learned square dancing in grade school. Arrrrgh!!! :evil: But some folks really love it. *shrug*

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Although I rarely do line dancing anymore, we do sometimes get an oldie song that you just have to line dance to.

As far as line dancing being a "sissy" dance . . . I would challenge many of you to go try to do the "Cowboy Hip Hop line dance. Or Mambo #5, or the one that I cannot think of right now that has 136 steps to it!

Line dance is responsible for - especially those many dancers that now compete - learning many of the basic footwork patterns . . . jazz squares, kick-ball-changes for example, and thousands more.

I'm not saying that this is where those steps came from, but only saying that's where many of us learned them.

As far as C&W dancing . . . I LOVE IT . . . the people are great, the music is great, and the clothes are great. I still have and wear Wranglers at special dances, but many times you can catch me at a C&W dance wearing baggy painter jeans and my Evening Star dance boots.

13. Mt2stepper

Mt2stepper New Member

I think a lot of younger people start out thinking that doing a real dance is sissy for guys. Or that's the excuse they give. In alot of cases its the fear of doing something that the rest of the "crowd" might think is silly. Guys don't want to get ribbed by their buds. I know that at most of the places I dance, most of the men are in their 40's or older with a few in their 30's and very few younger then that. I didn't take up real dancing until I was in my late 30's because honestly, I thought it would be embarrassing. So maybe the problem is more with confidence?

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Then there are the few who don't care what "the crowd thinks," and we go beyond the norm, and begin dancing at a very early age. I danced at an early age - the influence from my NY State Jitterbug Dance Champion Mom!

My only regret is not taking it serious enough at that early age.

This thread takes me back to Jeremy's ballet-dancing son . . . I've added him to my prayers, so that he is given the strength needed to outshine those (the crowd) who make uncalled-for jealous remarks toward him and his dancing.

15. dTas

dTas New Member

basic C&W dancing is quite easy, someone can pick it up and go with it in one evening. line dancing, two-step, country waltz... for the most part do not involve a lot of discipline in frame, lead, step, balance, etc... that's why people can do country drunk. :?

don't get me wrong... the competative edge of C&W is just as demanding as ballroom. in fact some C&W competators either used to be, currently are, or get training from ballroom dancers/coaches. 8)

its just the demands of C&W dancing aren't as great as the other partner dances. Salsa involves a lot of "latin" training, body isolations, cuban motion, quick rhythm and reflexes, etc... C&W dancing does not have the same demands. :roll:

thus it is easier to be a "real guy" when doing country. you don't have to look like a fool trying to look "rhythmic". you just have to dress good. :D

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You have a point! Until a gringo really gets the hang of salsa, he looks pretty silly! Also about attire- as Vince said, the clothes are cool and I think cowboy wear, boots, the hat, is pretty sexy. On the other hand, I personally don't care for the ballroom latin dance guys with shirt open down to the navel, exposing chest hair a la circa 1970s John Travolta. Yuck!

17. pygmalion

Amen. The foaming chest hair has gotta go. Umm. Can anyone say wax, guys? :roll: :lol:

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I don't mind the chest hair, it's just that whole fashion idea making a statement like "Look, chicks, I've GOT chest hair!" :lol:

19. pygmalion

I don't mind chest hair, per se. Just the idea of those split-to-the-waist tight shirts that men sometimes wear bulging with hair makes me want to hurl.

20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

:lol: me too!