Salsa > Mad about salsa...but how do I get better?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Snazz, Sep 22, 2003.

1. sanji

sanji New Member

Hi Snazz,

Obviously, it is quite a distance from Yokosuka to Roppongi. I live in Kawagoe Saitama-ken, so I also need to travel a lot to go dancing...

El Cafe Latino is nice, but get quickly crowded during WE. Never been to lesson there. I usually go to Shinjuku or another place in Roppongi for the lessons. Basically, the cost for 5 lessons of 1.5 hour each is 10000 yens, including 1 drink / lesson.

We perhaps should continue this discussion via email, as I am not sure the other people here are interested ;) As soon as I understand how to send an email to a member of this forum...

Everybody, thanks for posting the links, very interesting indeed...

sanji

2. Snazz

Snazz New Member

Hi Sanji,

Yes, I agree, we should continue this through email. Just do a lookup for my name, and you should be able to see my email address there.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. So I'm not in Japan, but I do love salsa. What's the best way for me to improve? Of course, I've got my basic moves together, and a few show-off things up my sleeve. But the ballroom/salsa transition is no way complete. So what do I do? Take lessons? If so, where? If not, what then?

4. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

I will recommend trying some workshops and salsa festivals if there is anything near you.

But the best way is a on the dance floor in the salsateques.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, Danish Guy. There's actually a ballroom lady teacher here who runs a "club" salsa group class. I'm going to check her out, and see what I see. She focuses on partnership, which I like. It remains to be seen if her style really is club. *shrug*

6. Snazz

Snazz New Member

Making em' look good and feeling good about it

Hi,

I've been dancing for nearly half a year and I began to realise recently, that my enjoyment of the dance depends on how it feels when I'm dancing with my partner. It's as if I'm judging my partner, and in a sense blaming her for the way she dances, if I don't feel good during the dance. (I don't say it out, of course) I've heard that the real good dancers are able to dance well with their partners, and make them look good regardless of their dancing ability (or lack of it).

I suppose what I would like to know is that;
    1. Is it possible to dance with someone who doesn't dance well (which is kinda relative) and still feel good about it?
    2. How do you get to that level where you can dance with an average dancer (or even a beginner) and make them shine?

Cheers!

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I can dance with anyone and have fun, I just adapt to her level. You can have a great connection just doing the basic. It's not a competition out there, it's about making sure she gets her fix. I've only been dancing a little over a year now, but I believe at around the 1 year point (depending on how much you actually dance monthly) you can make a beginner shine. And when you do...boy will you be on her dancecard in sharpie black!!

8. Snazz

Snazz New Member

Hi,

Tx for the reply, youngsta. So is it just a matter of time and practice? I've been dancing once (sometimes twice) a week for the past half year. Any tips about how to make your partner feel good as well as yourself when dancing?

I think it could be a cultural thing too. Over here, people tend to be a bit more reserved so sometimes, it's difficult to tell how they feel when they dance. As in they don't show it on their faces.

Expressionless dancing...it gets on my nerves, sometimes.

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Snazz... The way to feel make your partner shine isn't per se, how you make them look as per someone eyes, but how you make your partner feel. If you can manage to pass your love for the music and energy during a song to your partner you guys will shine, no matter how much you lack or don't lack in skill.

Now, if you are worried about an ego boost of how many moves you make a woman do, then it will take about a year. The year ins't to learn moves, but to get comfortable with your place in the music. You have to find your nitch, where you know how you want to dance, and what it will take for you to enjoy a dance. At first when you are learning you never seem to fulfill that satisfaction, the blame usually falls on the other person and not the self. To years down the line dance 1 song and get more satisfaction than dancing an entire night as a beginner. The reason is that you have found your place as a dancer and a philosophy has usually been fromed. Your worries will be about loving the music and the dance than making anyone look good, hence the worry-less world will cause your partner to feed from your positive energy ending up with both of you Shining.

10. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

As always borikensalsero is on point! Great way of breaking it down.

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

THANKS!!!! :D :D Now, I gotta put it all together and do it myself... :bouncy: