Tango Argentino > Videos > Maja Petrovic & Marko Miljevic (Biagi - Duval: Sangre de mi sangre)

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Mladenac, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Nice and emotional tango performance:

2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I only watched a minute of it, but I find him to be off the beat quite a bit, especially when the beat is so distinct.

3. Mladenac

I downloaded a 720p version of the video and I didn't find him of the bit.
    What about her?

4. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I've posted over 700 videos on You Tube & noticed that sometimes the synchronization of music & motion is not perfect in the YT video, dancers seem off the beat in the video & they were not off the beat while viewing them live.

5. Mladenac

And I noticed that sometimes flash player or HTML5 player gives some synchronization problems.
    That's why I mention downloading the video.

It's a bit strange that Andabien didn't complain about both dancers being off beat.

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

As a general rule, I think leaders have almost complete control of when they step. Followers often don't have that much choice. If their leader and the music are in different places, they have to make a compromise.

So, I tend to pay more attention to the leaders.

bordertangoman likes this.
  7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

That's an interesting remark, and perhaps worthy of a new thread?

Sometimes I am definitely leading the ladies feet to the beat and my own foor movements might be off beat to acheive this; ie my leading her is of paramount importance. Other times, eg in a giro, her being on the beat ( or whatever musical interpretation she makes) is down to her, and my influence may be far less.

Dancing milonga its very different; I tend to stay predominantly in parallel system and our footwork has (or aims) to be totally together, working the rhythms of the music..so we're both on or off the beat.

If there are fumbles, then I will lead her back onto the beat first, then myself - though both at once is quite common. That to my mind is the logical way to keep dancing; find where she is ( in terms of which leg her weight is on) then marry myself up to that, rather to bring her to my weight. Of course there are lots of variations (the Fumble Variations!) and so lots of ways of picking up the metaphorical dropped rugby ball.

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Seems to be the appropriate way of reacting on this blunt and churlish music arrangements.

9. bordertangoman

:D

10. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

So you mean the performance was on beat, when you were watching your camera/film it was ok too, but the youtube version did lost the sync ?
    I thought it was the camera issue only.

I downloaded a 720p version of the video and I didn't find him of the bit.
    Mladenac So you mean the downloading could reverse the distortion?

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I found that it´s daytime dependent perhaps due to the workload of the transmitting devices.

12. bordertangoman

I found the same thing; watching on a downloaded version in realplayer, they seemed to be on the beat, so maybe its a distortion between the sound and vision when its playing on YT.. I have certainly experienced the sound continue whilst the visual image froze...

13. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Yes, which is why i'm VERY skeptical about judging dancer's responsiveness to the beat based on You Tube vids. Even more so with dancers filmed in the days before digital cameras who have then been posted on YT.

vids I've posted are on my YT channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Tangobro

14. Mladenac

I don't have a good graphic card so I don't know what is causing a distortion on youtube.
    I also noticed problems with HTML5 and Flash player in a browser.
    Dancers are not always to blame. ;)

The best thing if you find some tricky video is to download it and watching on your computer. :)
    And also various media players have various performances.
    Watching HD video can be tricky. ;)