Dance Articles > Man Attacks Dance Instructor

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Quixotic, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

That's a fact Fasc...but it goes to show that even "rascals" like the dancing King David received mercy and redemption.. enough "preaching" for today LOL.. now if the Atlanta Blizzard will hold off, I'm going to do some of that "sinful" dancing myself tonight:raisebro:

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you hussy :)

3. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Yetp.. that's me.. my dance instructor says I'm "just evil enough".

4. fascination

um no...both imply instability

if that behavior was widespread among a particular faith, I would...my point is that one person's nutjob interpretation of their faith should not condemn and entire denomination...if that belief was held across that denomination the event would not be isolated...

as a mod, my only point is that we are not going to specifically impune a particular denomination or go in an inflammatory direction...those are our guidelines for reasons of keeping the talk focused on issues of dance not issues of religion...we aren't going there and that isn't a matter of debate...that is a statment of fact that would be best observed...rest assured, I have never, in my personal life, taken a pass on stating my views...but it won't happen here...thanks

WRT contacting the instructor; I didn't ...not sure where it sounded like that happened...only stated that whomever they are (and I am sure they prefer to recover in private), they have my sympathies.

5. fascination

I am not quite sure that I want my instructor's perspective on that

6. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Fasc.....I'm not going to "out" my instructor but if you knew both of us, you'd know that I'm about as "boring" as they come and my instructor intends that comment as a genuine compliment. From what I see of your posts I bet you'd get similar "appraisals" :)

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you really think it's religion itself that's accountable, and not the individual? what happened to free will...?

religion is just made up of people and their choices...wacky, nutjob or otherwise.

8. RichE

RichE New Member

YOU:...and I just send my sincere sympathies to whomever the victim of this insanity happened to be....

YOU:WRT contacting the instructor; I didn't ...not sure where it sounded like that happened...only stated that whomever they are (and I am sure they prefer to recover in private), they have my sympathies.

ME:I hope my leads aren’t that confusing.

ME: If religion produces an unsafe product then religion should be held accountable.

YOU:if that behavior was widespread among a particular faith, I would...my point is that one person's nutjob interpretation of their faith should not condemn and entire denomination...if that belief was held across that denomination the event would not be isolated...
    as a mod, my only point is that we are not going to specifically impune a particular denomination or go in an inflammatory direction...those are our guidelines for reasons of keeping the talk focused on issues of dance not issues of religion...we aren't going there and that isn't a matter of debate...that is a statment of fact that would be best observed...rest assured, I have never, in my personal life, taken a pass on stating my views...but it won't happen here...thanks

ME: Where did I single out, where did I impugn, where did I inflame? I paraphrase common law to this situation, “If an entity produces a product that is harmful then that entity can be held responsible”.

What is your threshold for, “widespread”? Is this harmful? If this were spinach, tomatoes, or Toyotas would you still pull out your mod whistle and call the game?

9. RichE

RichE New Member

What triggered this person?

10. Quixotic

Quixotic New Member

There's an element of both choice and influence. Who's to say it's all one or the other. It could be all his own doing, for choosing to do what he did, that he either misunderstood the teachings, or is mentally unstable. It could solely be due to the erroneous teachings of his specific congregation (erroneous from my perspective and from the perspective of those who share the same opinion in this one instance, as I do). Or rather it could be that specific teaching was erroneous. Either way, I would tend to believe something in the middle, especially since there is little context to go on.

I agree to what people have pointed out prior, that "crazies" (in our subjective way of categorizing them, according to our own beliefs on norms) inhabit a wide spectrum of beliefs, even scientific.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

the neuroses of a seriously disturbed individual, paired with a value system that justifies violence. religion is just the background that frames his beliefs about virtue and salvation.

projection, tremendously distorting fears, and lack of personal responsibility is at the heart of matter, the way i see it. the rest is just window-dressing, IMHO.

12. fascination

????okay...whatever...still not sure how I implied anything

my point is; that if it is not widespread, one cannot neccessarily claim (with credibility) that the institution is to blame....beyond that, I simply stated that we weren't going further down that road as it tends to lead to offending folks, and that we weren't going to unintentinally paint one particular denomination with a broad brush...didn't ever state that anyone had committed dreadful errors... only that heading in that direction tends to offend and inflame...it is my job to avert that stuff before it happens

well, hypothetically speaking, I'd say we'd need need to hear of more than a handful of Baptists every six months going batty and beating the heaven out of someone for it to be a specifically Baptist issue...look, I am not disputing that religion, or any other ideology, when taken too far, can lead to some very skewed behavior....nor am I disputing that there are some alarming leaders of all sorts of movements who have crossed the line...my point is, on dance forums, we aren't going to have threads on the dissection of various religions because it is inflammatory and leads to a huge time-sucking distraction for the staff (like now)as well as takes the thread off of discussion that might be more productive, such as whether or not it is wise for a pro to teach out of their home, what one does if one suspects a dangerous student, etc...... so I will thank you to please leave it be now that you have said your piece, with no disciplinary actions or accusations made toward you AT ALL

of course not, we have no long history of those issues becoming a flashpoint on our forum...it is my job to prevent that which is what I am trying to do ...NOT scolding anyone for any current behavior ... now, please be advised that discussion of moderation calls in the public forum is against our guidelines...b/c is sucks up staff time and ruins the atmosphere of the thread...thus, if you have further concerns, the only accpetable place for them is in the staff mailbox...disregard of that request will not be well recieved...thanks

13. RichE

RichE New Member

Religion, flame? Are you implying religion is the trigger?

Lack of personal responsibility? If, an individual is fully responsible then why is the tobacco industry being sued?

"tremendously distorting fears," That sounds like a protection racket.

I’m not sure what you mean by projection unless it’s conditioning or imprinting.

14. fascination

anything, including religion, can be a trigger, it doesn't neccessarily mean that there is anything inherently wrong with that claimed trigger...there might be, and that is a thing that can be debated elsewhere...

look, the weather is a trigger for some folks, it doesn't mean that there is something inherently wrong with winter....(much as the folks in DC might currently disagree:))

individuals of sound mind are responsible for how they take in and integrate information from sources outside themselves...if I watch a movie about a woman who kills her family and then go out and do it, the movie is not responsible...

at any rate, can we switch gears perhaps?...I'd like to know from pros, how many of them have taught from home and have they ever regretted it or worried about it?...also, do they, even if they don't teach from home, have students who know where they live?

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

huh? nope... stating quite the opposite. don't know where "flame" came into the mix...

well... we don't live in a society that places personal responsibility at the apex. i'm only expressing *my* personal view.

16. RichE

RichE New Member

Tacking that tact Fascination, then why did the original post pass inspection? Or, why didn’t you redirect to the safety of instructors and/or dancers and/or other topical topics RE OP?

Sorry I’m chewing up vital resources. I get your point. It is far more important for you to count sequins. “Oh how they sparkle, oh how the shine.” If the discussion doesn’t sparkle or shine then you’ll blow the whistle. Sorry, Fas I don’t live in a fantasy world. I’ve nothing but admiration for you Ball-room folk, a lot of dedication and discipline, but I think your environment is too sterile.

17. fascination

wrt tobacco...I think there are lots of complexities and particulars that don't make that a particularly accurate parallel...there were many nuances WRT to that that make it a bit different--- not the least of which is fact that we are talking about a highly addictive substance which does tend to interfere with reason--- and the fact that various degrees of candor were absent...again, not an issue that would be relevant to; dance intructors and their safety from persons who are upset with them for WHATEVER reason, rational or not...the topic here is that a student when to the HOME of an instructor and assaulted them...

18. RichE

RichE New Member

Type-o: flame, frame.

I'm getting the impression that is doesn't really matter to this group that this instructer almost got killed.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you're insulting our hard-working, volunteer-only mod staff for protecting an atmosphere of civility and inclusiveness, richE.

20. RichE

RichE New Member

Sorry Fas, you can't tell me to shut up then ask me a question.