Dance Articles > Man Attacks Dance Instructor

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Quixotic, Feb 11, 2010.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

staff mailbox if you must

if you had made this comment to any other member of this forum, I would have made you delete it...as it is highly insulting...this forum may be sterile, but it will not be rude, acrimonious, or disrespectful...there are plenty of other places you can get that on the internet

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Of course we care about the instructor.
    It's very serious and I hesitated before making that joke.

No, I would never teach in my home.

My ex-husband was seriously threatened by his hussy partner's husband. It was upsetting to all of us. There are crazy people in the world. Little Miss Self Centered caused a lot of trouble and I wish she had never come into our lives.

3. fascination

it's all good CCCC and thank you for sharing...on all counts

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I actually AM a Southern Baptist. And in no way would I ever say that the religion produced any thoughts in my head that would lead me to act the way the perp did. IF I WAS ALREADY UNSTABLE then I could TWIST ANY religious creed to suit my deviant nature. I could also read the NYTimes and find a way to twist an editorial to suit my deviant nature as well. It is a ridiculous and wrong association. The guy is obviously a loon, and hears what he wants in a sermon.

As well I am a pro that often teaches alone in a studio and have never felt threatened. But this makes me think a little harder about letting someone else know my teaching schedule with names and numbers of each of my students that are scheduled.

I sincerely hope the teacher has a good support network to help him recover, and that his reputation does not falter because of this needless incident.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

@RichE, it has already been pointed out to you that discussions of moderating are to take place via the staff mailbox. And, as has also already been pointed out to you, this policy helps keep threads on topic. You do not have to like or even agree with these rules, but you do need to follow them as a community member here.

@Larinda, very well said.

6. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

Nice post, Joyful. And I like your username. :)

Ouch... I don't think anyone on earth is an authority on morality. And I'm not religious or anything, but I think the lesson of King David is that no one is perfect and it's about what you do after you realize your failures that matters.

7. fascination

of course not (hence the smiley)...only making the point that if someone were arguing the morality of dancing based on david's assessment, one would also have to deal with his decision to have his paramour's spouse sent into battle and killed...that doesn't at all suggest that any of us is an authority on morality, nor that any of us is outside the realm of forgiveness or redemption

8. fascination

and today, the trigger du jour is; not getting tenure....it is an increasingly violent world in which we live...problem solving and civility are receding

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe he wasn't sure what was going to happen and wanted to be prepared for all eventualities. After all, you don't bring a sledgehammer to a taser fight.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Larinda is right that you cannot make generalizations. That attacker was a nut, plain and simple. There is a quote that goes something like, "No generalization is worth a damn--not even this one."

Who knows what drives the human heart and what motivates senseless acts like this. Yesterday, I saw a picture of Tina Fey with a facial scar that was described as "famous". (I did not know about this scar until yesterday.) It has been explained that when she was 5 years old, some random stranger slashed her face. How ineffably sad, but obviously Tina Fey has been able to go on with her life since then, to reach the summits in her profession...

11. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid, we should have ONE place on the internet where it remains relatively civil and respectful. Some of us prefer that sort of thing, call us crazy. There ARE forum guidelines, and there are moderators for a reason. You're not getting banned or threatened even but somebody has to MODERATE to try to ensure nobody is needlessly offended. You want to chat in a forum where there are no boundaries or nobody respects them anyway, there's no shortage of places like that out there.

12. reb

reb Active Member

OP:

Physical assault - bad guy - who's not onboard with that? Clear as a bell for many of us as readers to see even though we weren't there. I am (assume we are) outraged and confident in the knowledege that the local police and the civil authorities are representing our outrage in the public interest.

Then we discuss broader societal issues, causes, etc., confident in the knowledge that we are not bad people (definitely not as bad as that lunatic) and would not attack another no matter how right we know we are, because we are intelligent, thinking, considerate people - just ask me!

I personally avoid people who use sharp tongues as weapons. From my pov, besides insulting another human being with lousy sarcasm you hurt your own arguments in the arena of ideas. IMO apologizing would be in order and a good idea.

From a DF pov, you are out of line. Don't treat anyone on DF like this.

Now Joe pulls off sarcasm pretty well and I look forward to Joe's posts. Go figure!

You also have a lot going for you, including your picture - you could be a contender for Dos Equis' world's most interesting man!
    :cool:

13. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

reb, you're being a lot nicer than I would be.

14. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

Point taken, Fascination. Gotta love the smiley faces! :) :) :)

I appreciate the time and effort the moderators put into making sure Dance Forums is a safe and inviting environment for all participants. This thread is a reminder of just how sensitive these issues are and how problematic communication can become if we're not thoughtful and careful in what we say and how we come across as well as where others are coming from and why.

15. jfm

jfm Active Member

“Line dancing is as sinful as any other type of dancing, with its sexual gestures and touching. It is an incitement to lust.”[​IMG] Ian Paisley quote

good job this guy wasn't in Northern Ireland!

Maybe the worry there is less that it might be religously motivated (by way of individual interpretations), and more that he had been conducting a a dodgy campaign against dancing and no one reported it/the police didn't take action?

16. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

Two non profit dance organizations in my area hold weekly dances in two different churches.

17. fascination

well precisely...I have a master's degree in theology and was a chaplain for 7 years...this has nothing to do with faith it has to do with twisted ideology mixing with mental illness

18. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Personally, I'm reluctant to pass judgment on the alleged perpetrator, even to the point of referring to him as "mentally ill," a "nut," "unstable," "a loon," or otherwise. I abhor the alleged behavior. I also value a legal system that insists that the alleged perpetrator is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

And I pray not only for the victim, but for the alleged perpetrator as well.

I also value the work of moderators like Fascination, SDSalsaGuy and others and believe that other message threads here have proven that it's possible to have a spirited debate while remaining respectful and civil. Our moderators do much to assure such an environment and I thank them.

19. fascination

we will have to agree to disagree jay..imo no one who shows up at someone's house and uses a stun gun on them with a back-up sledge hammer is stable... if they did it...and are found to have done it...they are unstable....whatever their rationale...imo

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Crazy is as crazy does... ;)