Maypole dancing: shoes or bare feet ?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by AJ-10, Mar 20, 2010.

1. AJ-10

AJ-10 New Member

We are holding a may day festival for the first time and the local girls are doing a maypole dance. They are wearing white dresses for the dance and will be dancing on a lawn, but we are not sure whether they should wear shoes or go barefoot. What do you think would be best ?
  2. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

Shoes. Even if you are doing the Isadora Duncan bit - diaphanous shrouds with no underclothing and headbands - the prospect of the young ladies prancing about with their feet soiled, and possibly muddied, from the effects of a recent rain, is most unattractive. It's been done, but not very successfully.
  3. AJ-10

AJ-10 New Member

Yeah I see your point there, if it's been wet recently we'll definetely tell them to wear shoes. But if it's a dry day do you think they should go barefoot ?
  4. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

I wouldn't. To my mind Maypole has a refinement about it. Though it comes from a folk tradition it's not the same as dancing on the sands of a Greek Isle - barefoot.
  5. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

How about sandals? Keeps an almost-barefoot look for the traditionalist, yet is still enough of a shoe to protect from the elements.
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i woulda thought barefoot would be appropriate. maypole dancing originated as part of a pagan spring-time fertility tradition, didn't it? :cool:
  7. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

Yes, actually, it did. Same origins as eggs and rabbits for Easter!

I agree barefoot would be a better alternative, but some don't want to get their feet dirty :)
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

there would be something either lurid or authentic about girls in white dresses with muddy feet. :)

but it does remind me of the communal activity of grape-pressing during harvest time, where there's a lot of festivity surrounding all the mess. it's a sensual, earthy thing... and these are sensual, earthy traditions at their heart.

after all, what's a little mud? :rolleyes:
  9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

ITS ALL TO DO with the fertility Goddes Eostre or Ostara
    so go with lurid :raisebro:
  10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

11. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

The right amount of alcohol makes everything else unimportant.
  12. AJ-10

AJ-10 New Member

We'd like to be as traditional as possible with the dance, was going barefoot a major part of the pagan tradition ?
  13. opendoor

...and what about this year?
  14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Authentic is great. But somehow I have to wonder if the fair maidens of yore lived the cushy life we do today. Fair or not, I bet they had crusty feet. If I were into maypole dancing, I might look into getting some flesh-toned Roman sandally (old fashioned looking) shoes to protect my feet. I can't imagine that jumping around barefoot is just about mud these days. To me, it would be more about avoiding having tiny rocks puncture my pedicured tootsies.

And while we're on the subject, those young maidens of the ancient maypole dances probably had a lot more to worry about than sore feet. Just sayin.
  15. Jim Chad

Jim Chad New Member

My question is related in that we are talking about dancing on grass. Over the summer, some friends and I will be going Salsa and Swing dancing on grass. This is on different night and different venues, by the way.

For men and woman, what kind of shoes are best or do people like barefoot best?
  16. opendoor