Salsa > meeting in NYC weekend of salsa congress - 20-22 August

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Sagitta, Aug 15, 2004.

1. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

Well, I'm back. I didn't make it for drinks but did meet Boriken, Sagitta and Jamaicanspice on Saturday evening. I did have two nice dances with Jamaicanspice and she adapted very quickly to dancing in a slot by the end of the 2nd dance :). Next year she will be dancing on2 :) I meet Aragonh on Sunday and he was tearing up the dance floor! It was an awesome weekend of dancing. I danced from 11pm to 4am Friday through Sunday. Everyone I asked for a dance said yes. The best dancers showed up around 2am and that was a sight to see. I'd say I enjoyed this more than the LA congress. The high quality of dancing was there, except it was less crowded and it is really nice to have the hotel and event under one roof.

I'll be back at the NYC congress next year. I'm already making plans for the Hudson NJ/NY congress in November. These congresses really seem to raise your level of dancing.

2. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:wink: Why, Sydney Salsa Congress Jan 2005, of course :wink: ......!!!!!

Let's finally put *the plan* into action, shall we :wink: ?

3. tj

tj New Member

Woo hoo! Way to go, gang!

Now *that's* what a congress should be like!
    :wink:

(and hey, SC, was there ever a conclusion as to which website had the info on the Sydney Congress?)

4. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

:lol: :lol: I have a better chance at making it back to the NY Salsa Congress next year than the Sydney one in January SC......but I will try andmake it to Sydney one of these days!! In the meantime there will be no congress in Jamaica just now....still building our salsa network there but you can come down and enjoy yourself for a couple days just dancing!! :D if anyone is making plans to do that let me know so I can have the welcome party ready and waiting :wink:

thanks for the compliment kiwimambo!! :D I know if I had danced a couple more times with you I would have been 8) great!! :D I can't believe I actually danced ON2 in a slot :eek: :eek:

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's what makes you such a great dancer JS. You quickly pick up a person's style and apparently can adapt to something you've never done before!

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I was late too friday night, when we meet up with volleybgrl, over 30 minutes late too I might add. Sorry Sagitta...

The congress was jumping all weekend long. I went all 4 nights and had a total blast! I wanted to pace myself but I still couldn't manage to I was dying by the end of friday night. Too many people to dance with, simply amazing. It was much better than last year, a few people mentioned that they would have rather the performances be in the same ballroom, sagitta mentioned it as well, but to me, I rather dance than see the performances so I didn't mind them being in another room.

I must thank Pacion for giving me a taste of leading an on1 dancer, because when JamaicanSpiece and I danced, I already knew what to expect... after a bit of a rough start we sailed through the rest... and JamaicanSpice did catch up to on2 way fast, she closed her eyes and felt the ta ta of the tumbao and bang of the bass... BTW, the bass is depending on the song played on the 2and, but still you can't tell that it isn't the 2 and just about all the dancers here dance to the tumbao and the bass...

Just a thought
    There is a belief generated in cuba that a great dancer must dance to the bass.... whatever that means... the bass is said another foundation for the rhythm, one which cachao used to say, holds the congas, bongos, and timbales together.
    End of thought

Sagitta and jamiacanspice clicked right off the bat, they looked so cute together... you guys had to see it!

I didn't get a chance to converse with KiwiMambo for long, we both seemed to be in the dance mood and running around like chickens with out a head... Too many great dancers in one place together makes anyone go nuts.

I missed both aragonh and ReggeaMambo :( I'm sure we'll have another chance to meet.... I can't wait to next year's congresso...

BTW... we are still partying here in NY City. I went out last night to Flamingos and it felt like it was still congress atmosphere!!!! Everyone was there!

7. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! :oops: thanks sagitta!!!! I'm getting compliments!! awwwwwwwwwwwww........I LOVED dancing with you guys!!!! :D :D :D

8. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yup! Cachao is one of my new favorites.... :)

9. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

boriken I may be heading out on Wednesday night lol will call and let you know for sure!!! :D

10. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

thanks boriken!!! I really DID hear it then....and thanks to you I was able to dance way better with kiwi the second time lol lol

we did!!! awwwwwwwwwww.....I thought we did too

SO true!!! if it wasn't for the dancing at the pix at the end I woudln't have seen thiese guys!!! they were all over the place

Reggaemambo I can find lol lol let me see I can get him to hook up with us boriken lol THIS time!! lol

11. KiwiMambo

KiwiMambo New Member

Next time we will all have to all go out for dinner. It's too hard to converse with the music and dancing surrounding you.

Boriken, how are the dance socials in NYC? Are they similar to what I experienced at the congress? I sure enjoyed seeing some of the best NY on2 dancers. Oh so smooth...

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sounds good. :)

13. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I second that!! :D

14. aragonh

aragonh New Member

I missed all you people there!!

I didnt know about Friday and on Saturday I was sleeping around 8:00. (You had to find sleeping time whenever possible in order to dance till 4:00)

However, I did meet up w/ Kiwi Mambo. Hes one cool cat!

And no, I didnt forget my necklaces!!! :p I have about 6 different necklaces to choose from.

The congress was awesome. The workshops were great. Got introduced to some great music by Eddie Torres (Orquestra Broadway). Met up with my Chicago people (I even went onstage for 5 seconds to help them out in their performance). Met up with new people also.

I also found great albums (besides the Orquestra). My friend hooked me up with the best of Hector Lavoe (2 cd album) as well as 30 years of Fania (64-94 also 2 cds). That was awesome.

The only bad thing about the whole weeekend is that my feet started to hurt at the end of the nights. I had to take 2 song breaks before I could get back on the scene.

Oh yeah, the subways get HUMID if you stay there for longer than 5 minutes!!!. I was SWEATING bullets just waiting on the F line. I swear, my shirt was soaked as if I have been dancing all night long!!! :lol:

15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yes indeed, kiwiMambo... It seems that the word around the NY City locals is that the congreso is one huge social. The people I spoke to compared it to a large version of the Jimmy Anton's social. Except for the bands of course.... But that is exactly what the socials around here are like.

16. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I can't believe I missed seeing you!!!! I was SOOO looking forward to seeing your 'famous' necklaces too!!

are you still in New York??

17. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

hello all, glad you all hooked up,i did not go to the congress,but have off this week and was at flamingos this monday night-had i known i would have looked for you boriken.flamingos was really cool, johnny polanco from LA was playing and i saw henry knowles there - i know him from the miami hustle/salsa conventions and bought some cd"s from him he's a cool dude and a good dj. johnny p and band sounded good and i like the dj music also. flamingos is a happening place, i danced a real nice cha cha with a gal . boriken is this one of the in spots? we (a friend) went to tavern on the green but that was closed, they were supposed to have salsa there. thats my first time at a NY salsa club- flamingos- and i liked it. we also went to a big hustle party at dancesport that was pretty good.

18. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Crapola!! We missed each other! man!! It would have been great to meet you! Well, imagine flamingos about 20 times bigger. That was what it was like at el congresso, except that the DJs overall didn't play as good a music as the Flamingo DJs did. However, the band, same one (Johnny Polanco) was much better at the congreso, even if they were hot at el flamingo's.

Flamingo's is, in my opinion, the Hotest spot to salsa in NY City. There is also Cache on thursdays but still I think the live bands make Flamingo's every Monday that much varied scene, plus the dancers there are more skilled.

19. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

ah mi amigo lo seinto we missed meeting,another time boriken,yes flamingos was happening-and i really liked the dj music,question for ya boriken,the dj played a song by i think bobby valentine if i spelled it correct that was really a hot song do you know which one? also i did not know i'd be at flamingos mon untill we were in the city and we were driving all around to find a place to salsa, i think i saw albert torres at flamingos, so at that point the congress happening got me thinking,but to late to contact you. i saw the pic of you guys and gals thanks sagattia.

20. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Nope I don't remember which Bobby Valentin song he played, I'm sorry. Do you by any chance remember what the song said? Yes, Albert Torres was there too... BTW, Did you like the performance by Candy and Jay?