Dancers Anonymous > Member Introductions -- Index

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, May 15, 2004.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Wow, I was just reading back over what I wrote when I introduced myself and I'm quite surprised at how much my attitude has changed. We're now going to take better classes (if mum will let me...still gotta get past that) and are already practicing medallist stuff. Comps are about equal to balls, because while they aren't as fun, at least there is room on the floor to dance.
    It's only been 6 months...

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

amazing how it grows and takes over your life eh? You will have to give an update every 6 months or so...

3. Lioness

Yes, I expect in another 6 months I will be steadily working towards my silver medal.

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

you'll probably have professional aspirations to go with that - if you don't already!

5. Lioness

If life doesn't get in the way, I hope so. DP and I have talked before when we first started and we both want to do Masters levels one day.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

well, you've already got the cheering section :)

7. CatherineEvans

CatherineEvans New Member

Hi I'm new here. I love dancing too especially when I was younger, but now I need a little bit of confidence to show my dancing skills.

hope I enjoy being here in the forum!

Nice meeting you, everyone.

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Welcome to DF CatherineE - jump in, the 'water' is fine. Besides, we're all making fools of ourselves too ;)

What kind of dancing do you do?

9. Benji

Benji New Member

Hi, My name is Benjamin. I'm 22 years old.
    I just googled and this forum came up :D
    I've been Ballroomdancing for 2 years now and hip-hop for 5 years
    I got exams tomorrow <_< x_x But i don't really know in what class I am...or atleast what it's called in English...Well I was Gold in december and passed those exams
    anyways too much blabbering already
    hi :D

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome so glad to have you ;)

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF tmaximus89!

Hope to see you around the boards!

12. bas

bas New Member

I just realized I haven't introduced myself yet so here goes . . .

Born and raised in Amsterdam (NL) I have made my way to a tiny little village on the coast of Holland. I took a bit of a detour getting there though as I went via London (UK), Almere (NL), several towns in Luxembourg (L) and Igel (DE) .

I'll tell the (relatively) short version of how I got into dancing (for the longer version click this link instead)

I first learned dancing when I was still a wee boy. My mom was a former A level ballroom dancer in the Netherlands and she thought that dancing was a basic skill that everybody ought to learn.

Maybe it is just because I heard it so often but I agree. Dancing is great fun and aside from that it has great health benefits. But as you're posting on a dance forum you probably agree.

When I became a teenager I stopped dancing altogether though. Instead I focused on martial arts which I enjoyed doing for over a decade.

Looking back it is amazing how many similarities there are between the two. Even though I did not realize it at the time I guess I never really stopped dancing until I was 26.

Then came nothing. For a for a couple of years anyway. I made use of all the usual excuses. “I have too much work”, “my partner does not want to go”, “I don’t have time” etc.

Eventually about 7 or so years ago, I saw a couple dance salsa and I have been hooked ever since. It has taken me quite a while to get started properly though but finally I am now on my way to becoming a Salsero.

How long is ‘a while?

Well, after 4 tries over a period of 6 -7 years I managed to finally finish my beginner’s class in spring of 2008. That is ‘a while’ ;-). I am glad that I did eventually go through with it though as now I am having lots of fun again.

If you want to know more about me feel free to ask. Alternatively you can check my blog or look for me on FaceBook (just clicking the link will take you to my profile).

RiseNFall likes this.
  13. fascination

welcome bas...thanks for taking the time to go to such lengths

14. Lioness

Right again...gosh, I have this talent for predicting stuff...:p

Welcome in Bas, enjoy yourself.

15. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

Hi All

I am from South Africa and have been doing Latin American and ballroom dancing for the
    last 7 years. I stumbled across these forums on google. Have been taking a quick look around and there is some interesting stuff on here.

16. fascination

welcome!!!!!

17. CANI

CANI Active Member

Welcome Nightshadow! My cousin married a South African woman and got married there. I loved everything about my trip...amazing food, incredibly beautiful country, lovely people...one of the nicest vacations I've had...

18. Nightshadow

Nightshadow New Member

Thanks Fascination and Cani. Our dance 'scene' is not quiet as big as yours however every little bit helps. And Cani.. I dont suggest you visit at the moment. Its freezing over here coz its the middle of winter! :)

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Nightshadow, just wanted to add my own "welcome to DF!" :cheers:

20. pr

pr New Member

Welcome! :D