Dancers Anonymous > Men - do you shave your pits ?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DeeplyDippy, Jul 19, 2005.

?

Shave, trim or No way

1. Yes - I shave

98.4%
  2. Yes - I trim but not shave

0.6%
  3. No - I do not

1.0%
  1. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

There's a media fuss over here in the UK about whether David Beckham shaves his armpits :D

I'll admit that since I started dancing, I now trim mine so that I'm not smelly when I sweat :lol:

2. macha

macha New Member

*makes grimace and impatient noise*
    No offense, but lay off the gay, would you? Not everyone's on the same side of the rainbow here idealogically, savvy? I'm upset to see this a subtle, hopefully unintentional, recurring theme. If you have something against them being around here, say so, please. Weight, I can understand, but leave the rest of it out if it doesn't pertain to lines, frames, floorcraft, and alemanas, please.

(PS- it's "you're". Chicks dig manly men who can "talk real good".)

3. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

There's no offence here.

"Your all gay" is an intentional mistake - it's a well known Internet in-joke like
    "All your base are belong to us".

I suggest you lighten up a tad.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I haven't heard any of the Beckham stuff, although of course I'll google it. What's the uproar about? Manly men supposedly don't shave while effeminate men do? Is that the implication?

If so, balderdash! :lol: :lol: I think at least part of it is cultural. I've had experience with a couple cultures in which everybody shaves -- men and women. It's considered part of normal personal hygiene, so to not shave is considered similar to not brushing your teeth. It's not done. *shrug*

So what's the big deal? :wink:

5. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

You're absolutely right about it being a cultural thing.

Here in the UK, the clear implication about Beckham is that it is effeminate. However, a few have picked up that he advertises for Gillette :D Is this value for money marketing or what !

It was a big step for me as a 40-something English man to take my electric razor to my armpits (long hair setting, natch) but now I won't go back. The Beckham thing gave me an outlet for my curiousity :)

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I dunno...I think that the reason you don't smell quite as bad is that the deodorant doesn't have to cover the skin AND your hair.

And if you're not wearing deodorant, don't try to kid yourself--you still stink.

That said, any man who wears tank tops absou-freaking-lutely MUST shave.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

:lol:

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Well said. Very well said. 8)

I'll never forget the dance exhibition where my (gay, btw) dance teacher danced all night -- probably 35 or 40 medal exams, a dozen showcase routines and a pro show. Then he went to the teachers' lounge (which had no shower) and changed into a tank top. When he came out, his giant puffy clumps of underarm hair were dripping. :shock: :evil: :evil: OMG! Disgusting. Surely shaving would have been a better choice. :lol: :lol:

9. wolfhazel

wolfhazel New Member

I just want to say it's not gay!
    To be honest (and I'm female by the way), I find hairy arm pits a bit of a turn off I accept them and get on with it, but the les hair there the better it is. Probably why I'm attracted to most deodorant advertisement guys lol. Oh well...

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Hairy armpits are cool- they come with the oh-so-male territory. David Beckham- the most overrated thing since oat bran :roll: . I shave mine, but I do not expect any guy to shave his and would look twice at a guy's shaved pits and wonder "why?".

Is the "Your gay" referring to someone perhaps dominating a person of homosexual tendencies or is it simply a mistake in the verb to be? (Sorry, I teach English and nothing bothers me more than this! 8) )

11. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

No, it's an internet in-joke - the sort of mistake a h4xor makes :)

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I know a lot of women who like the hair on me. :wink: 8)

13. Nobody125

Nobody125 New Member

i start to shave my pits since going to salsa but my gf tells me i look like a woman. huh?

14. Sagitta

WEll, some women like hairy men.

15. wolfhazel

wolfhazel New Member

And some don't :p lol
    I live with it but I don't particularly like it to be honest.

16. Josh

Josh Active Member

I don't like my underarms to be completely hair-free, as then sweat feels free to drip down my sides at will, with no hair to stop any of it. So, I trim.

Also, some use the word "gay" to mean "lame" ... as in, "man, that's gay." I think that's what the usage above is similar to. It's not a putdown on anyone's sexuality. Since "gay" used to mean (and still does mean to some) "happy" a few decades ago, I see no reason why it can't also mean other things today as well. There's no patent/trademark/copyright I'm aware of on the word "gay." The common phrase "I'm straight" in response to "are you okay?" is not a knock on heterosexuals either. :roll:

17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to interrupt a perfectly good manly conversation... but the use of the word "gay" is going to stop right here, right now.

If "lame" is the intended definition... well then, "lame" is the word everyone is going to use.

18. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Good job Larinda, keep those boys in check :)

19. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

It would be a very good idea for DeeplyDippy to edit his poll with something along the lines of, "No, absolutely not".

Thank you in advance.

20. Sagitta

Polls cannot be edited once they have been responded too.

And I just learnt that they can... :oops: