Tango Argentino > Men 's legs

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by korto maltese, Mar 29, 2016.

1. korto maltese

korto maltese New Member

Hello,i m new to tango (about 2 months),and i m bugged about how men's legs are supposed to look.I execute the soft tango walk,and it feels good and relaxed,but when i wear tight jeans,in the mirror i observe that my legs are doing an awkward angle.I see that in a lot other dancers,especially tall ones(i am pretty tall too),who arent beginners.As far as i m concerned,there is a slight(or intense sometimes) bending on the knees in tango,so the angles are unavoidable.But why does it look so bad in men? I tried some more loose pants and it looks better. Is this only a clothes issue? Is it just my idea? Can you clear this up to me?thank you

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Yes, loose pants and also very long, almost touching the floor. If L is your usual size, you buy a XXL with a belt.
    I once attended an on-the-beach milonga and watched Nito (from Nito and Elba) dancing in a swimsuit and it was a terrible sight.

3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Your partner can't see your legs. And you'll look awful if you dance in jeans, tight or not.

4. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Try naked, you will look even worse

dchester likes this.
  5. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

My opinion: It has to do with the timing on the release of the leg. Some dancers delay the release to maintain the line in the free leg. I would not wear tight pants or jeans though. Also not a fan of super loose pants...just normal pants.

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

As we can't see you, all we can really do is guess. So I'll just say that loose pant legs often do look better. FWIW, you'll likely be tinkering with your walk for the rest of your time in tango.

7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Also, make sure your posture is good. If you're hunched over or "sitting," that will add to the awkwardness.

Mladenac likes this.
  8. korto maltese

korto maltese New Member

thank you for the responses! well by nature i have a light kyphosis,so my head tilts lightly to the front,but i certainly don't hunch..@dchester i agree,probably in one year from now i ll be moaning about another part of my walking,probably its one of the hardest things

9. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

It bugs me too! I've done a lot of thinking on the subject, so I'll share my thoughts and efforts.

I think the ideal look is, when walking, to have your reaching/trailing leg be straight (at point of maximum extension) and your standing leg bent in proportion to how big your step is. So the bent-leg aesthetic that's bothering you is probably from a bent reaching leg, which means either your leg isn't reaching it's maximum extension, or your standing leg is bent too much for your step size. When pausing in collection, both legs should appear straight.

Here's the video I took of myself when I first realized the problem (1 year dancing). You can see my legs are pretty much bent all the time, which doesn't look too good, and also causes me to bounce. Also wearing tight pants:

Here's me 2(!) years later after having worked and worked on the problem. Still not perfect, but a lot better:

Here's me 5 months after that, really trying hard to look good walking. You'll notice I also snagged some looser pants to help:

So how much do loose pants help, and what should you look like in tight pants? Here's one of the top tango dancers in the world dancing in pretty tight pants:

You'll notice at 00:36 when he's walking, he's still got the aesthetic we're looking for, straight free legs. However, if you watch later in the video, his legs do bend quite a lot, even in collection sometimes (when big pivots, like milonguero dips and such).

Here's Carlitos dancing with much more flowy pants that hide those leg bends.

Conclusions: you're already ahead of me, trying to work on the problem at 2 months vs 1 year of dancing. Pants can help, but good technique trumps all. Bent leg aesthetics are more a symptom of problems in walking. Don't worry about it too much though. Keep it in the back of your head, take classes on walking technique when you can, and stay tall all the time!

brunoalfirevic likes this.
  10. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

The look was the main reason when I started to take the heel steps. When placing the toes first made me - on video - look terribly bad. (dancing as leader)
    For me it is easier to maintain a better posture when dancing with a taler follower. When back to my shorter followers I try to remember what I did, how it felt in my body and the try to maintain that version of posture.