Salsa > men who try to "correct" you or "teach you" during a dance

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by yippee1999, Jul 23, 2006.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

this weekend at a dancesport event i witnessed something truly amazing - a partnerless pro (leader) correcting, during a general dance which happened to be salsa, another pro with whom he was dancing. this was on the comp floor in front of a large swathe of observing pros and spectators.

both are accomplished pros and very accomplished social dancers - he's one of the best in the city, always out dancing, always rocking everybody's world. and he still couldn't resist the tempatation to teach on the floor. i've seen him make this correction countless times, always with the same move - you'd think he'd get the hint that he's misleading. but no.

the look on *her* face was priceless. major props to her for smiling sweetly and continuing on.

2. africana

africana New Member

absolutely! i think corrections are almost unavoidable, but they should be considerate, necc & genuine, not shaming, because each dancer really wants to be their best for each partner

3. azzey

azzey Member

Gag them! hehe.

4. Josh

Josh Active Member

oye... poor girl. It's embarrassing even to WITNESS a person being corrected on the floor when people are watching. There's no place for it on the floor. And for social dancing, not much room, IMO, for correction OFF the floor. I mean...why? What's the point? That's like telling someone 10 minutes before a big show or competition that they have a flaw in the way they do a particular thing... it does no good, makes a person MORE nervous, and can't easily be corrected in that time frame.

5. alemana

alemana New Member

fortunately she'd just danced brilliantly in a high-level competitive environment. i'm sure it bothered me much more than her.

6. fallenangel

fallenangel New Member

Totally agree with u !! A lot of ppl just don't get it, and would still like to give their 2 cents(pennies)hehe! of advice ;P

"Dancing is like having 5 min affair with your partner"

7. africana

africana New Member

the perfect correction

Someone gave me some feedback recently that was so done with so much class:
    it encouraged, enlightened and inspired me all at the same time! It was such a positive interaction that it didn't occur to me to feel bad or defensive about his input, and now I have an idea of more things I can work on to challenge and push myself

maybe that's why he's such a successful teacher lol

Some things that made it so positive & effective:
    -it wasn't done -during- our dancing
    -it was based on a relationship
    -I respect him as a teacher/dancer
    -I was open to recieve

8. nikita

nikita New Member

Teaching and correcting belongs into a classroom. It's a thing between teacher and student. IMO.

On the (social) dance floor there are no more rules.
    "Just keep the rythm & have fun:banana: !"

No rules- no correcting:tongue:

9. africana

africana New Member

disagree :tongue: