Tango Argentino > Men's Tango Shoes

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by UKDancer, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Wanderer2

Wanderer2 New Member

I can't understand it either, since tango/tango training shoes don't have ALL these characteristics):
    I exclusively use low (2cm heel), suede soled ballroom shoes, which give a good hold on the ground, allow a good feeling the ground, result in quick, solid balance even after a very fast move, have a narrow profile (very good for milonguero), slide along with each other even if passing in contact, allow easy and fast moving due to low weight, come in varying footshapes (broad, narrow, high arch), are very comfortable, can be polished if necessary...

2. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I'd say that men's BR shoes are a very practical choice for tango, except on the roughest of surfaces (and I wouldn't dance on those, anyway).

They 'give you away' though. What is a proper dancer doing owning a pair of BR shoes in the first place?

3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I wear Florsheim loafers. They are light-weight, flexible, with a leather sole. That's all I need for a tango shoe. I find it convenient to arrive and leave wearing my dance shoes.

If I was doing a Viennese Waltz I would want a tighter, more supportive shoe. Same for Swing dancing.

4. bastet

bastet Active Member

There isn't a true reason with a nicely made ballroom shoe, AFAIK...but I think UK Dancer's got something there in terms of styling, much like with ladies shoes. :) A lot of guys I know here do use ballroom shoes for tango, at least as a practice shoe.

For guys, if you have a well made ballroom shoe and like it, stick with it, but don't close yourself to the option of a nicely made men's tango shoe either.

Flabella does really nice one's for men, and my other half says they do feel different from ballroom shoes in terms of performance and balance. Jorge Nel comes in a close and well done second, I think. (Incidentally, if there's a leader out there who wears a US 7, I have a pair of very nice Flabella's that someone brought us and apparently heard the request as 7 and not 11, so they are the wrong size and need a new home :rolleyes:. I can get insole measurements if anyone is interested- just PM me. They tend to run a little bit big.)

Werner Kern's Nueva Epoca line for tango is also very well made and they do a men's line.

Ampster likes this.
  5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I do like the Florsheim penny loafers (and dance in them sometimes). I also have a pair of Bostonian wingtip tassel loafers that I dance in a fair amount.

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I had someone offer me a penny when I wore penny loafers to the Little Kro Bar in Brule, Wisconsin. (I lived a short distance away for an entire year and drove by there on the way home from work for another entire year.)

Here's a review of the place.

an isolated dive bar set deep in the woods near the Brule River in wisconsin. the Kro bar is like one of those places you see featured in a scary chop-her-head-off-and-bury-her-body-in-the-woods type movie. its dark, creaky and musty. it smells of.... well, i dont actually know what that smell was. the patrons that frequent this bar are serious fisherman who spent a long day on the Brule, or hardcore Packer fans with guns and hunting caps on.... was i intimidated? hell yes! if i hadn't walked in with 3 of my very big swedish male cousins i would've been way too scared to enter through its doors.... strangely enough, once you've clinked glasses and christened your first beer you've made a bar full of new friends already. extremely nice people once you get to know them... however, i would NOT advise vikings fans to come in here ever. i'm not even joking around. you won't make it out of those woods alive.

No Argentine Tango there, but I did dance a great post divorce polka with Marylin Letto.

OK. Back to "Tango shoes for men".

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Snobbery?

8. Hock Siew

Hock Siew New Member

I use Ballroom shoes myself. I find that the suede sole provides a good grip as it can be brushed if the floor is a bit slippery. The shoe is also soft and flexible and has a thin, light sole, which makes dancing comfortable.

9. payalsingh

payalsingh New Member

Yesterday I was searching about Aris Allen Men's Tango Shoes and got very good information.

These are designed for the intermediate / advanced dancer - but they're also great as a second pair for beginners... the "fastness" of the sole forces you to "find your center" immediately.

10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I actually dont know what you mean by this? Tango dancers arent dancing barefoot!

A lot of guys start dancing tango in their second part of their life. Those who danced BR before keep on using their ballroom shoes. Those who start all over right from the beginning often buy high heeled zapatos, which are also used in BR latin dances. Some who like to masquerade often buy shoes in the 30s black and white look gansters and compadritos of that time used to wear. Some buy argentine shoes, they usually have vegetable-tanned leather soles and are used down under as normal street shoes as well. Some who bought argentine shoes will replace the simple sole by a chromium salt tanned leather sole. Some guys like me are dancing in dance sneakers. You see, there is such a great band width among tango dancers.

By the way, what is a suede sole, someone above mentioned? Is it vegetable- or chromium tanned leather?

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

suede = Ziegenleder does that help?

12. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

The latter. If you use a steel brush, to remove dirt and stop the surface of the leather compacting and becoming smooth, you can preserve the nap for quite a long time, and it provides just the right degree of grip on a typical dance floor (ie a little more than smooth leather). This type of sole is standard in Ballroom & Latin shoes (the latter having a cuban heel, which helps to pitch the weight forward). You can't wear them outdoors, of course.

The Arris Allen tango shoes (I bought a pair, and I quite like them) have a slightly higher cuban heel (2" rather than the 1.5" usual in Latin shoes) and smooth leather soles. They were very stiff, to begin with, but they have softened up, considerably. Fashion has moved on, though, and flat shoes, or ones with little or no heel, seem to be the current preference.

13. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

suede is "Veloursleder", or colloquially "Wildleder", but i am not sure if this is how it is used in the german shoe trade. I just googled a few german shoe sites, and they seem to use chromium tanned leather to describe this (which puzzles me, as suede vs. smooth leather is a surface treatment and afaik independent of what tanning process was used - so take this with a grain of salt - smooth sole leather is usually vegetable tanned as it shrinks less, while suede is usually chrome tanned becasue it is usually not intended for as hard use (and cheaper/faster), but that is not a 1 to 1 correspondence - there is chrome tanned smooth leather and vegetable tanned suede)

Gssh

14. AndaBien

Hey, you spell "becasue" the same way I do. Maybe it's a trend.

15. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Hah, it is typing dyslexia - along with "taht" and a few others. My left hand truly does not know what my right hand does :).

Gssh

16. AndaBien

My fingers don't know what my mind thinks. And I had to correct three srrorse in tha t single snetnece.

My dancing is a mess.

17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Thanks. Must be Velour, not Ziege (goat) !

18. lindadale

lindadale New Member

I don't have any experience with this shoes but my one friend have these shoes which he buys online from Inkfruit and he had a really great experience with the quality of these shoes.This is a very famous place specially for mens shoes.

19. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I remember answering on a very old thread like this from long ago... So, here I go again.

IMHO: In AT, it doesn't matter what shoes you wear as long as they are:
    • Comfortable
    • You can move/pivot in them
    • Dress appropriate
    I personally wear Clark's Chukka boots (from the UK) with rubber soles that have a composition that works just as good as suede. AT is danced with street shoes, have a dedicated dance pair is nice to have. Just remember that if you were street shoes, wipe them well so you don't scratch the floor.
    I have friends with who wear Puma (original soles and resoled to leather), I've got friends who wear Bacco Bucci's. I've had dress shoes that I've had resoled to leather. At the milonga, it's what works for you.

20. AndaBien

Yeah, I wear a Florsheim slip on with a leather sole. It's light-weight, supple, not too expensive. Works great for me.