Tango Argentino > Men's Tango Shoes

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by UKDancer, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I can't wait to try my latest idea. I am going to take my favorite pair of minimalist walking shoes and use a page from the Swing dancers... put tape under the ball of the foot to give me a little extra spin when I need it. We'll see if this works or if it ends in tragedy. :p

Edit: actually, just read an old thread on here about tape on shoes... apparently it can muck up the floor with adhesive if the tape frays. Hmm. Back to the drawing board... I think adding suede to the bottom of the minimalist shoes would defeat the purpose. Need something less thick.

2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think tango dancers would need the type of spin that a swing dancer would want.

3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I think you would find that if you pivot a lot, and you don't keep brushing up the suede to preserve the nap, it would become smooth quite quickly (at least on your spin spot), and might just work out very well.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

How about non-stick cooking liner?, though you would have to find an adhesive that sticks to it

5. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

I use duct tape on Puma sports shoes when I want to dress casually. It works well and I haven't had a problem with adhesive transferring to the floor. The tape lasts for several milongas and when it starts to look worn I just pull off any that isn't fixed firmly, then put a new piece over the top.

6. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

ok, so I tried the tape on the soles of my Merrell Trail Gloves. It was actually less slippery than I thought, maybe I need to try a different kind of tape. But it worked for the most part. And I didn't have to worry about it coming off, rather it was devilishly hard to remove after. heh.

7. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Bumped this thread because I now have (a pair of) my own answers:

verytangostore.com/2x4-al-pie-san-telmo-negro-malbec/

[​IMG]

This is in NO way an advertisement for the company, maybe a bit of a warning. Here's the story.

A couple of months ago I went to a practica which I almost never attend anymore, hadn't been there in years. They had 2 pairs of these shoes they were giving away to whoever could fit them. My Cinderella story - I was the only one they fit, and the fit is perfect! No break in needed. Now this is where the warning comes in - the guy who left them to be given away did so because he had purchased them, they were too small & evidently he had given up on the return process.

Now, with the caveat emptor out of the way, the shoes are incredible! Light weight, supple, fit like a soft leather glove, well balanced, and seem to propel my dancing, possibly because they are not in the way. Once upon a time I did Afro-Cuban folkloric dancing, which was usually barefooted. These come close to restoring the barefoot feel of responsiveness to the floor, but are perfect for spins & turns & gentle caricias. Maybe it's the balance, but I feel my walk is improving & it seems my placement of my foot with relationship to my partner's is more sure.

So now I have more questions. They came with replaceable suede soles & rigid support insoles. I'm clueless. I usually dance at milongas held in dance studios & sometimes at restaurants with dance floors. When or where would I use suede soles? What is the purpose of rigid support insoles?

p.s. the only downside is that although they feel great for dancing, they are not so comfortable for just standing around.

p.p.s. The shoes are from 2X4, I don't know if there are multiple distributors for the brand, or if so which one he got them from. I Just used the above link so you could see the shoe & it's description.

8. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

Lucky find. I've collected five pairs of 2x4 shoes over the years, and I'd have more if their distribution wasn't so useless and they actually tried to make them available to buy at a more reasonable price. I especially like the all-suede ones, which are even lighter and softer than the pair that you have.

The leather soles are the slipperiest, the suede grips a little more, and the rubber sole grips the most. If the floor is too slippery with the leather, change to suede. I tend to default to leather on wooden floors and suede on polished marble or tile floors, although once the soles gunk up a bit, they all start to perform the same anyway.

The rigid insoles are supposedly to give some arch support for people that need it or when your feet are tired, since the shoes pretty much give no support at all. I've never bothered with them though, so I just throw the insoles away.

tangobro likes this.
  9. pascal

pascal Active Member

I own a pair of 2x4-al-pie as well, all white, duly bought in the BsAs apartment-shop. But I rarely wear them, I find them heavy and rigid compared with my Repetto or my old and torn tango sneakers.