Swing Discussion Boards > Message to beginners and intermediates

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Flat Shoes, Mar 20, 2010.

1. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

going back to the original OP:
    1) pair everyone up (gender does not matter) and have them go two handed palm to palm - with a piece of paper currency (krone?) and then take turns moving each other around the floor with active (towards the following partner) and passive leads (away from the following partner). while the primary goal is the keep the money from falling and to maintain connection in active and passive leads, students can also experiment with hands inside and outside their own hips;
    2) suggest that arm tone/tension should be comparable to that needed to push a shopping cart;
    3) add a variation where the follower closes their eyes when practical - this will prompt the follows to rely more on non-visual input

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, there's blues and there's "dancer's blue".

3. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Love the shopping cart. Not only the tone/tension, but also the way you use your body to push it. Also you can maneuver it around, spin it etc. And for doing that you need to pay attention to its weight distribution and momentum, very much in the same way you have to pay attention to the followers body and how her body is moving.

4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

it also illuminates the principles of hand placement in relation to center line.

when i ruptured an achilles tendon ten years ago, part of my rehabilitation routine included going to the supermarket and pushing a cart around the store every day; besides working the lats, it also helped me camouflage work on heel vs. toes leads - and i could carry my cane in the cart.