General Dance Discussion > michael jackson dance moves

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by gnarly, Jun 24, 2004.

1. gnarly

gnarly New Member

hey. first post. anyway, aside from his (not so) private life, which is really kinda getting creepy by now, he's still one hell of an entertainer. not sure about the person, but still, he can put on a show. was wondering, how does he do that bending thingy? he stands and lowers himself down. and can I do it? as in, normal without any props or if any, do it easily? thanks =)

2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

u mean that move is real.. not a show bizz trick!? :shock:

u r talking about the fancy move he did with the fellas behind him in Smooth Criminal right?.. when he leans fwd at an impossible angle?

lol .. beats me.. i know if i did it i need to have a soft mattress with a plump pillow under me :lol:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

4. playbunni2k5

playbunni2k5 New Member

i didnt think that was a real move either, ive tyried it so many times, i watch the video over and over again, i canm do loads of his moves including the moon walk (PROPERLY!) and most of usher's moves are taken from michael jacksons.

5. gnarly

gnarly New Member

well, not sure if it is a real move, just wondering actually, if its all props. magnets? really over developed calf muscles that would be really noticeable by now? not sure. thats why i came here :p

6. playbunni2k5

playbunni2k5 New Member

i dnt think he does it himself luv its either props lyk string or summik :)

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We have a guy in UCWDC, named Chris, who is a MJ impersonator, and he does DO that move to perfection. No props, no matresses, etc!

8. gnarly

gnarly New Member

but, if its strings, its one hell of a job, cuz they have to attach the strings and remove it pretty quick, especially during a concert. highly doubt it, but possible. anyother ideas?

9. gnarly

gnarly New Member

and how does he do it? =) care to share?

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

???????????????????????????????????????

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think to a degree it's an optical illusion and strong toes.

12. gnarly

gnarly New Member

optical illusion? but viewing it from tv and frmo infront of the stage gives two different angles. not sure. tried looking around on the net and i can't find any info on this, and i'd think that people would write about this. strong toes? sounds possible, but what about their centre of gravity?

13. gnarly

gnarly New Member

you said he could do it, right? any idea how he does it? would like to know=)

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I have no idea how it did it . . . it was done on a stage, so if there are wires or some kind of supports, he figured out how to do them . . .

I was standing in the back of the theater where it was performed, and it looked so totally michael jackson!

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you!

15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

*HUGE Michael Jackson fan here -- owns the 2 DVDs of his music videos (I don't have the new, "Greatest Hits" DVD though, and I don't have, "Dangerous: The Short Films..." :evil: )* :wink: :roll: :wink:

The move you're talking about, Gnarly, is called the, "Leaning Tower of Pisa," move. It was faked -- everyone involved had very strong, thin strings/wires attatched to them and they were lowered down to a 45 degree angle to the ground, then brought back up.

=^_^=;; Heh, heh... Smooth Criminal is one of my *FAVORITE* videos Michael did. 8)

I meant to answer this yesterday! But the topic had disappeared after I'd finished a post I was working on!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

16. lovetomove7

lovetomove7 New Member

more info

Hi guys...

Michael does that live as well and in fact has a shoe patented that would allow him to execute the famous 45 degree live on stage. It's not all smoke and mirrors.

17. gnarly

gnarly New Member

so...2 conflicting stories, who to believe? i would like to believe that i could do it and impress others, but, oh well. you said he has shoes? what's so special about them? and can i make it?

18. lovetomove7

lovetomove7 New Member

Hey gnarly!

Yes he has special shoes but I'm not entirely sure how the mechanism works. I once read on the Michael Jackson Internet Fanclub when it was up that there are hooks that come up from the stage when he performs it live and I would imagine that the shoe hooks onto the hooks on the stage. I could be wrong.

19. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Lovetomove, great to have you on DF! :D I could always recognize MJ by his "trademark" shoes and socks, but I didn't know they were specially patented! :shock: 8)

The hook idea seems very plausible, because wires would just be too much of a hassle, and non-immediate. But I'm sure he had plenty of time between the making of that video and the tours where he performed that routine to figure out how he was going to make the Pisa move work. :)

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

20. gnarly

gnarly New Member

i checked out some videos. in one of them, one of his backup dancers slips up. i noticed after they do the move, they have to take a step back, for each leg. like sliding it out of a catch or something. so, looks like there is a hook that pops up. cuz i couldn't see anything. anyway, the backup kinda slips a little and you can see that his leg is caught up in something as he moves back. looks like we know how now =) thanks =)