Tango Argentino > Videos > Milonga Sentilmental; Chicho & Eugenia

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, Jun 22, 2011.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I give it two thumbs up. They compliment each other very well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

This is one of the few of Chichos milongas I love! It is a mystery for me why I do not like his milongas - when he is the king of rhythmical tangos for me. (can you see what could be missing?)

He is dancing nicely in close hold too.

Thanks for showing .....

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. I love love love his interpretation of the music.

That said, there's still something about the way he uses his feet that I don't care for.

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Ahhhh, Milonga!
    Sure glad I looked at this one!

(Wondering it the feet thing isn't a combination of the two tone shoes and "flared" pant legs.)

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nah. I like the two-toned shoes. I've noticed the same thing with his feet in numerous other videos. I have a lot of respect for him, I recognize his ability, I think his musicality is stunning...but there's just something in the way he uses his feet that rubs me the wrong way somehow. I think it's just his style clashing with my preferences. Shrug.

7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I watched just his feet out of curiosity from your comment. I notice that he keeps his feet at almost the exact same flex all the time. It's like he has very little "hinging" capability in his ankle and so it all happens in his knee. (This keeps his knees rather more constantly bent than is typical of leaders as well). His foot gets placed fairly flat on every step and it even has a "clunky" heel dominant look to it, almost as though he is making a "stomp" for flamenco that ends up being a full weight transfer, rather than the usual softer placement and use of the ball/toes that we often see from men in tango.

I imagine that if he were a female follower wearing a dress and flat shoes rather than a stocky leader in pants, this technique would be considered fairly "ugly" and would get "corrected" despite the obvious stability it probably affords.

However, given that we were just having a discussion on another thread about women not feeling grounded to the leader and/or dancing on their toes without keeping their heels pointed towards the floor..... hmmmm... :cool:

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I took a re fresher (for me) milonga course from Alex Krebs a few months ago, and the first thing he and Megan Pingree, who was my first instructor years ago, commented on to me was that this was milonga, and I should have more knee flex / get down more than in tango.
    And, here it is, from my notes. Trying to remember the names of the couple who used this terminology.

Milonga - Dance Milonga as if your feet were in stepping in mud: heavy, very down to earth, very flexed knees.

My African dance class is clearly emphasizing the "down" nature of much of that movement. (One thing I've had to learn is to abandon "third position" I worked so hard to put into my WCS, or ANY stance with my feet together.) And, then there was the Argentine instructor who stated that "Milonga is a black person's dance." Thompson, too, hits the African nature of milonga (and much of AT) pretty hard.

All that said, you both know I'm not disagreeing with anything you've written!

And, while I'm at it, I have to add that this performance highlights (for me) why I am SO disappointed with AT people who march solemly to milonga, or even tangos that have sections with lots of energy.

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

watch 1:21-27 he´s still a drummer