Tango Argentino > Milonguero-Style on film – Your take on it.

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Lui, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Lui

Lui Active Member

I don’t want to hijack this thread, where some maybe not too perfect examples of social dancing are discussed. Therefore, I would like to ask here:

How would you set up a video shoot for demonstrating the special aspects of a Milonguero-Style dance?

Let’s assume you can’t film at a regular Milonga, as you don’t get the agreement of all regular visitors and proper lighting would destroy the atmosphere.

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Music: d'Arienzo and the like, perhaps some camera panning on to a juke box to capture that retro feeling;

Seating arrangements: along the wall, filling and seating in quick motion, singles, not couples;

Inviting: some cabeceoing (also with some misunderstandings, eventually);

Light: (not yet sure);

Camera angles: LOD by fish eye from the ceiling, fused torsos by stand from shoulder height, restless feet by tripod on the floor, inside drifting by an outdoor camera fixed to a follower´s head; some enlarged face shots,

Dance style: no giros, much cadencia.

Haven´t you got several film schools in Berlin? A promo film would work pretty well as a term task.

3. Lui

Lui Active Member

It is actually not a project I’m working on, just an idea triggered by Jan’s thread.

Every now and then I’m asked or booked to take part in some kind of media project. The most fun one was the music video for 2raumwohnung (although it might not be the best example of my tango dancing). I also had my share of experience with Berlin film schools: Often the working was highly annoying and the result was always complete rubbish. Luckily nothing of it ever surfaced to a general public. This might be a Berlin thing, as the girls and guys from Ludwigsburg on the other hand are well organized and often show up with good results.

It might work out to gather a team from more commercial oriented schools, like a light guy from an event academy and a video guy from a Media & Desgin school. But I’m really not up to the hassle, nor do I want to invest any kind of budget right now.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'd just get a camcorder and have someone record you dancing. I guess I'm not clear on why it would have to be a big project. Just find a room with decent lighting, have a good sounding boombox, and make sure the person with the camcorder has a clue what they are doing.

As for the music, maybe use two different contrasting orchestras. Maybe a lively D'Arienzo, and then a slow Laurenz.