Tango Argentino > Milonguero style

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jantango, Aug 10, 2012.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Um, that was not my intention.

When I began dancing I was a folk dancer and I wanted to be perfect in all styles. That was a long time ago and I've realized much since then. Now I just want to dance my style. I don't want to dance someone else's style, or even various styles

The milonguero style is where I find the best dance, for my money, but my own teacher complained about the way I do it. I had to quit taking lessons from her because we disagreed about how I should dance.

I understand the pleasure of knowing and dancing many styles. It's just not what I want to do anymore.

2. jantango

jantango Active Member

Celia Blanco, owner of Lo de Celia Tango Club, has taught tango to social dancers for many years. She teaches at the Zurich festival every year. Celia doesn't go to the milongas. In fact, the only time I saw her dancing in her milonga was the night of her 12th anniversary last month. She can dance well, but has enough to do running four milongas a week. She is a teacher, not a milonguera.

If you know teachers from BsAs who can't navigate well on a milonga floor, it's because they aren't social dancers. Their time is dedicated to teaching and performing.

3. jantango

jantango Active Member

I'm talking about Argentine professionals who don't go to the milongas when they're in Buenos Aires. They can walk in free anywhere and be treated like royalty. They go to a milonga when they're invited to give an exhibition for which they are paid. Their presence draws more attendance. Then nobody can dance because the floor is too crowded and no one knows how to navigate because they learned choreography not how to improvise.

Perhaps tango teachers in your community go to the milongas. This is not the case in BsAs. I rarely attend El Beso where I have seen Alicia Pons and Monica Paz, but I never see them at Plaza Bohemia, La Nacional, Lo de Celia, Gricel, or El Arranque.

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Alicia Pons and Monica Paz go to Plaza Bohemia (Sunday). Alicia also goes to La Nacional (Monday).
    I don't go to Club Gricel myself (too far, too many tourists and bad dancers without manners there), so I cannot account for that one.
    El Arranque starts early, and so does Lo de Celia. I guess some people who work just cannot make it because of that.

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Concerning me it was the other way round.

6. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I am very defined by some teachers because what told me was logical and practical.
    I don't go to lessons anymore that's true, but it's not that I am not trying to learn from somebody.
    I discuss how sth is done, or how I do it.
    I watch some professionals and try to accomodate to myself.

We all have some background that have been continually changing.
    I can hardly be independent of my primer tango scene cause after all a lot of stuff I learned I don't want to give up.

Some dancers are into exploration some are don't.
    Dancer need to be self confident to do that and for that it takes time.

7. Mladenac

I got a little bit picky over time. We were both nitpicking a bit.
    It's true that over time I met more dancer that dance how I want but that is mainly during festivals.
    It's not that I am not optimistic about that. :D

That is debatable.
    Once the follower can follow or my lead she is not beginner any more no matter how she has been dancing.

8. Mladenac

It seems that you want to feel important.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think assessing in advance any dance teacher is tricky. I have usually asked someone who has experienced thier teaching what they thought was good and bad about the teaching.

A good Argentine teacher can be lost in a foreign country if they can't communicate across languages.

I can see you would like specific things from a teacher, and that is fair enough. Sometimes feeling comfortable with the person teaching is enough, to learn new something new.

It does seem to be leading to a Catch 22 in this thread..the real milongueros don't teach and the good teachers don't dance. That's why I think some of the better teachers are coming out of the US and Europe; their learn their craft in BsAs, and they are better skilled at sharing it because they are outsiders and observe and experience in a different way than those for whom it is a 'lifestyle'

10. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I don't know whether coming from US or Europe is the factor at play, here, or whether it is just that there is no reason to think that an advanced practitioner of any dance style (and I am assuming that we agree that the milongueros are advanced dancers in the styles they prefer) will automatically make a good teacher. There is the old saying: those that do, can, and those that can't, teach; but you can invert it, and say that some that can teach, do, and many that can't, try anyway.

The whole 'lifestyle' thing can be a real turn-off for a lot of people new to tango, although for some, it adds to the fun. It only really makes sense in the right context and otherwise aspects of the whole package can just appear to be ludicrous. I seriously doubt that teachers have any responsibility for the induction of anyone interested in the lifestyle aspects of tango: that is what the wider tango community is for, for those that want to go that way.

11. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Comments such as this will get the thread closed. The thread seems to be getting back to subject matter over personal comments. Let's keep it that way, please. Thanks.

12. I find that understanding how things work in one style of AT contributes to my understanding of other styles. I am often inspired from dancers of almost any style and that inspiration helps fuel my personal style. The milongueros are an infinite source of inspiration for me, but so are some other dancers, like Gustavo Naverro or Fabio Salas. Understanding many different styles individual or groups doesn't mean that I want to copy them or imitate them, but it enriches my understanding and gives me more choices and tools to work with in my own dance.

13. jantango

jantango Active Member

Dance comes from within. No one can change who you are. Shame on your teacher for trying to limit your dance. You made a good decision. Dance your style!

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I´ve understood it in a different way: in order to teach it may be helpful to keep some distance from "the scene" with all it´s daily business, intrigues, folklore, customs at the place of origin.

I am really thankful that my first teacher (an uruguayo) took me by the hand after three weeks, showed me all the milongas and venues of my hometown for several nights, showed me different archetypes of tango characters, explained not only the codigos for the milonga but also the night-life rules, told me about the squabbling among the teachers and their cliques, and what was most important to me, set me an example of his own tango philosophy. Dont want to miss it. It left a mark. And so one of my first threads in this forum was an outcry of indignation when I saw tangueros dance to Adios Muchachos. But who if not my! teacher could teach me such essentials.

15. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

She must have learned about it then. A couple years back, she was in Boston and I cabeceoed her for a tanda.

She might have a future in this tango stuff, as she was pretty good.

[​IMG]

16. jantango

jantango Active Member

I love the way dancers take a Spanish noun and add the past tense ending ed to form a past tense verb in English text.

Cabeceo: nod, nodding; shake of the head, (horse) toss of the head.

You nodded to invite her for a tanda. How was the tanda? She is very short and you are very tall.

Graciela danced with Eduardo Pareja recently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRHDXXSe2E

17. Mladenac

There is a term for that: Spanglish (mixing Spanish and English)
    It's not so surprising in tango comunity because many spanish (tango) words have their meaning through the dancing population.
    The same thing is IT where English is influencing other languages.

Height difference might be the problem but it's not necessary to be.
    There are tricks to accomodate that difference.

18. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

You should hear them speak Spanglish along the Mexico/US border.

I like to add "ando" to English verbs, e.g. -
    "What are you doing"?
    "Oh, estoy watchando".

19. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

I don't like to be in the debate of varies styles, etc., since I really don't know enough to even have much of my own opinion. However, I think it is very important for teachers to let the students know that they need to adapt their style to the environment. Just this past Saturday, I was in a crowded milonga. A couple of foreign visitors invited me to dance. They are not bad dancers, but they didn't know how to dance small. Even though I tried very hard to confine my dance, I would not be able to stop their big back/forth movement and multiple sweeping big turns, unless I back lead. So I declined their second tanda (invitation). I think that one of them was very surprised at my refusal to continue, because he thought that the dance had been great. I didn't explain, but how could I? I hope that they would have noticed by watching the crowd that they should not dance so big.

20. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Whether you choose to spell it out for them or not, is your choice. I don't think you would be wrong whether you did or not.

In any case, it does seem that they were not able to determine that for themselves.