Tango Argentino > "milonguero" website

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Zoopsia59, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

2. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Is that spelled right? Can't get to the web site.

3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

The link works for me. Haven't had time to view the site yet, but will take a look.

4. gyb

gyb Member

IMHO it was quite appropriate to put "milonguero" in quotation marks in your question. The site is, as it is, quite misleading. It has many tango videos in the posts - i.e. two by C. Frumboli - but not a single bona fide milonguero style video. (I'd contest even the undoubtedly very nice CE video of C. Espinoza.) The adornment posts are also helpful but misleading in suggesting what has primary importance for followers who wish to dance this style.

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Found in his "What defines milonguero style" post

the weight of the body in front of the heals

This guy is a card-carrying expert. Somewhere in his site he gives his mail for privates. Lucky us.

6. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Misleading "Milonguero" - Pun Intended

Interesting too how so many want to market under the Argentinian and/or
    Castellano term "Milonguero" for their own credence yet don't actually
    dance it nor teach appropriately to the general principles of the term
    they are misappropriating.

7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

While a private does sound tempting, a maestro like him is probably out of my price range.

Oh well.

:rolleyes:

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with that. Do you find it erroneous?

9. AndaBien

His About page states, "Milonguero.org revolves around dancing tango and the philosophy of tango. Hopefully this resource will encourage more people to take an interest in many styles that Tango has to offer and take advantage of the numerous benefits.", which seems to involve more than just milonguero, despite the site name.

I found his description of milonguero style essentially correct.

Added: Looking further, the site is mostly a curation of other sources: videos, music and books.

10. dchester

I don't think that's what really defines that specific style. Besides, if the weight of the body were behind the heel, wouldn't you be in colgada position?

EDIT: OK, I went and read his page on Milonguero style defined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milonguero_style
    (previous link moved, so here is the wiki about this style)

It wasn't as bad as I first envisioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  11. AndaBien

That's correct, but I guess you know by now that it says, "in front of the heels".

12. dchester

My point about in front of heels was that it applies to more than just milonguero style.

13. AndaBien

That's true. It's not a technically accurate description, (the way we like them around here), but it hints at a difference between being on ones own balance and sharing balance.

14. dchester

I'm not sure that it hints at anything. One can have the weight on the balls of their feet, (which is in front of the heels), and not have any weight sharing.

15. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

They have eyes and they cannot see.

the weight of the body in front of the HEALS

A body is in front of heals, this is in hospitals.

16. dchester

Forgetting about the tangent of milonguero style, and more about the website in general, now that I've had a chance to look at it: It seems that it's target audience is people who already know who he is, as it doesn't say anything about where he is located, but it does have a page for people to request privates.

While the pages look nice, the content does appear to be a bit disjointed. The page titled, "Music to put you in the tango mood" starts off with two milongas.

;)

Then he has a couple videos, with the second once not even being close to milonguero style (also they both were very nice performances).

There's also a page about alternative music. I played the first clip, and it didn't sound like anything that would inspire me to tango (although maybe the clip wasn't long enough).

Of course he has a page about Milonguero style, but then his "About" page seems to say the site is about all styles.

I don't know what to make of the web site, but it doesn't appear to have a consistent theme across pages.

17. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

My eye was drawn to the Recommended Reading, which turns out to be links to two eBooks for Kindle:
    • Embracing Tango
    • New Glossary of Tango Dance
    Both by Gustavo Benzecry Saba, whose name is not known to me. Does anyone have any knowledge or comments about these texts? They are relatively inexpensive, and the little of the content that is available to view looks interesting ...

18. ant

ant Member

Gustavo teaches with Olivera. They come regularly (about one a year) to the UK where they teach at Tango Feast. I enjoyed classes I have had with them.
    They are based in BsAs where they have a regular class. Although they do tour a lot.If I remember correctly they have been mentioned on DF as teachers people considered of a good standard in the past.

19. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Gustavo and Maria are very well regarded here.

20. dchester

They (Gustavo Benzecry Saba & Maria Olivera) are outstanding teachers, IMO (very nice people, too). I have (and like) Embracing Tango, although it's not a very long book. Gustavo and Maria were teaching at Salon Canning, when I was in BsAs.