Ballroom Dance > Videos > Mirko & Alessia's last Tango (at the World's Most Important Competition 2009)

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dapenda, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks for sharing, Dapenda!

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

great vid -- thanks for sharing, dapenda. i really enjoyed their dancing...it's so exciting and nuanced.

as for the end...that was quite a kiss at the close of the vid. don't think i've ever seen a kiss quite like that on the comp floor.

4. Me

Me New Member

Okay, well... I don't know any of couples' names, so...

I really liked the dynamic of couple 122. Can somebody tell me their names?

Not to hijjack this thread, but.... wow. A lot of the dancing in this clip just seems to scream why I just don't like the way international tango is being danced! I don't understand the need to move the head as though you are dodging punches.

5. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Jonathan Wilkins and Hazel Newberry

6. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Hazel and Jonathan are awesome. so polished and they looked like they were having fun instead of the stern faces you often see.

I sincerely hope that it means tango is changing to a more "soft" look.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

visibly demonstrating nuance...connection...speed-->stillness...musicality

the very reasons why i like it. ;)

8. Me

Me New Member

Thank you so much! :)

Yes... Jonathan & Hazel really stood out to me because their dancing was the definition of the points you just made... I think their dancing was really very nice. :) None of this excessive head weaving that, in my opinion, is distracting and ridiculous.

Three cheers for good, clean dancing!

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

funny how our eyes see different things...they are my least favorites of the wonderful bunch.

i happen to really enjoy and appreciate the head movements...doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all. it says to me: power, balance, flexibility and sensitivity. nuthin' ridiculous 'bout that. :D

10. sofi

sofi New Member

Is Intl Tango moving more towards a smoother look now? I noticed that there wasn't as much of that whiplashy-look.

11. gracie

gracie Active Member

Does look softer, now that you mention it. Allessia has such a glamorous look and rarely smiles, but for her it works. Sad I never saw them in person before they retired.

12. contracheck

contracheck New Member

It looks that way. They even kiss lip-to-lip in public, and the woman wipes out the stain from the man's face-not a bad gesture.

13. Angelo

Angelo Member

dat wuz some mad hot ballroom right dere

14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

absolutely great tango, thanks for posting! I actually saw it in person - that's 2009 blackpool, very amazing!

15. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Lucky you! Their tango makes me crazy!!!!:D

16. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I saw this in person too!!! managed to sneak in the second row :D was sitting right behind John Wood and Snieguole and a few chairs away from Victor Kanevsky lol... it was sooo cool!!! (the dancing, not the seating... though that was cool too)

17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Saw it in person too:) Fabulous!

18. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Like the spontaneous kiss too... It seemed to me to be a 'thank you' kiss. :)

And I will agree with those who say.. this demonstrated what I don't like about standard tango or standard anything. :)