Salsa > Mirrors and salsadancing

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by vey, Dec 29, 2003.

1. vey

vey New Member

I’ve noticed that when in my “self-expressing” or “inner dancer” mode (using Boriken’s terminology) I absolutely can’t (and do not want to) look in the mirror, it completely ruins my inspiration. :(

Occasionally, I find mirrors useful when I’m trying out a new move or trying to see how the move my inner dancer invented looks but, being honest, I prefer to dance and practice without looking at my reflection, it distracts me so much.

Has anybody experienced anything similar? Do I have a serious case of mirror-phobia or what ? :)

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

When practicing by myself mirrors are definitely useful for me. However, when social dancing I don't pay attention to mirrors (and they don't bother me).

3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I do the mirrors when I want to hit/achieve a particular form or body position, I use it over and over until I see it the way I want it. However, if I bust out and see myself in the mirror I kind of shy away as well. Oddly enough, I feel like I'm being watched in a private moment. :?

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hmmmm :? , I feel that way, too.

But compared to a few years ago, I am so much more comfortable with my reflection now. It must be the growth of self-esteem 8) , via salsa!

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I do not like seeing myself in the mirror when I'm dancing at one of the dances, but they're good for observing yourself during a lesson or class.