Ballroom Dance > Mixing business and Ballroom

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Apr 11, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

The other night I met a new student at the dance studio. I've barely had time to say hello before they were asking me which chiropractor I refer my students to. To be honest, I am not a Believer in Chiropractic for the most part. So I did not want to be rude and tell them that I don't believe in Chiropractic, but they kept going on about how my students must surely have pain sometimes and how they need help.

It would be one thing if I knew this person pretty well already and they had earned my respect. But I barely got a chance to get their name before they went on about they're Chiropractic services.

There was another person who was a physical trainer that organized training sessions for groups of people. They wanted me to try and to help them organize a new group and of course that is not an area that I specialize in. But it is another one of those conversations that did not conclude very quickly.

Have you had some problems with this and how did you handle it?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    scullystwin42 likes this.
  2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am here to dance (or teach, but I don't teach).

Or thanks, but I am not looking for anyone in that area right now (plus or minus a softening with, but I will keep it in mind).

And then escape or redirect (eg if in the middle of a lesson, go back to dancing) as appropriate.

Pretty much like any other sales pitch.

DanceMentor likes this.
  3. ralf

ralf Member

Of course, if you don't mind being rude, you could always reply with "Thanks for letting me know who NOT to refer my students to."

Anyone who feels a need to be that pushy on sales makes me wonder about the quality of their product....

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Well I did happen to mention my experience to a couple of my students. After all this lady ask me to see if my students need a chiropractor. And of course I think people may be watching this lady little bit more now.

5. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

It is not your problem to market her business. As a studio manager you can offer to have a place for student to have business cards out in case someone is interested in that service. That would be a lot, anything more than that would be marketing someone else's services.

As a student, it would bother me that my teacher was asking if I needed this service. It was very nervy to ask you to work for them.

scullystwin42, IndyLady and Loki like this.
  6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

It's possible they only came to market their business and will disappear as soon as they think the well is dry.

You could simply tell them you recommend students consult their own doctor if anything comes up.

IndyLady likes this.
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, so they just came in to market in your studio. Tell them that you don't allow any solicitation, and if you catch them at it, throw them out.

scullystwin42, jiwinco and Loki like this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

OTOH, what about students who do make-up, hair, bling, etc.? They probably solicit biz at the studio.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

In the past, I've seen business cards at the front desk of students businesses - photography and wedding cakes come to mind. The students who left the card do take lessons, group classes and/or participate in studio activities. The businesses are something other students, especially wedding couples, might be looking for. I don't see an issue.

scullystwin42 and IndyLady like this.
  10. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

I guess I can speak to this since I have done this.. I was dancing long before the business, so I wasn't there to just market my jewelry business.

However, I spoke to the owners, not my teacher and asked if I could add a flyer to the studio bulletin board. They were fine with that and I often "set up" in the studio before large local events. The do allow regular students that have side business to put up a flyer. It does assist students, especially new ones to find good services for competition. Also, I am A LOT less expensive than the vendors at the competition, so the teachers appreciated the savings too. (Often with custom work at a great price)

Like I said I took lessons for many years before this came up, so I wasn't there to just solicit business.

Purr likes this.
  11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

My post wasn't clear. I'm all in favor of student businesses marketing at the studio. The other side of the coin though is which (and how much) soliciting do you allow?

12. IngaSv

IngaSv New Member

Business cards/flyers are fine in my opinion, but actually trying to pressure the teacher to "promote" you is a bit off.

Loki likes this.