Tango Argentino > Videos > more neotango

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

How is it lead?

.. concerning the video of the BA Tango Couple from Laibach, Slovenia
    I have a question: There is a beautiful frozen voleo at 1:16 . How is it lead?

3. Me

Me New Member

Well I can't get the Youtube video to load now. (Stupid youtube).

From memory, it looked to me like he lead the voleo and stopped her return forward motion by grounding himself (ballroom dancers call it "check") which centered her on her supporting leg as a prep for calisita. When she felt him center her she took the option to embellish calisita by holding her leg in back attitude. It did look nice. :)

Now watch fifty dozen other people watch this clip and rip the move off but not the lead/follow skills behind it. Betcha it won't look the same. ;)

4. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

He leads her to do the voleo and then keeps the extension with a little bit of outward lean (colgada), thus NOT inviting her to drop her leg. You can easily see the extension and colgada at 1:18 as they rotate.

To make this work, it is of course important that your follow understand that EVERY motion of her free leg is lead (invited). Many follows don't, and they think of things as "moves". Hence in a linear voleo the leg goes up then down, or in a volcada, once the sweeping leg is started, it continues by itself to cross. Etc. In that case of course you just smile and accept that your follow knows a lot of "moves". Oh well.

5. Me

Me New Member

Cleared my cookies and it loaded (yay).

They do have a nice lean going on there.

6. opendoor

hi Me

.. I was quicker ;) Now its on my hard disk.

I usually lead a linear voleo a little bit downwards stop then and let the energy go.
    Now, did I understand you right: I have to suspense the motion of the flying leg when it just comes back ? And hold the other as for the calesita?
    I will try it out tonight !

7. opendoor

May I ask again: Does he extend his arms to get into the colgada-like feeling ? Or may there even be a little push? He cannot lean backwards because this would invite her to drop the leg back.

8. Me

Me New Member

If you watch at about 1:14, you will see him sneak his hand around to prepare for it. :)

On a side note... Is there a mandatory "all black" code at this particular function? It's funny how the audience is clad entirely in black against white walls with white window frames showing the night sky.

9. opendoor

Re: mandatory

try this :confused:

10. Me

Me New Member

So... this isn't just your typical tango crazy crowd determined to wear all black all the time?

11. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

I can only speak to how I lead these moves. I do not teach and make no claims as to universality of my technique!!

I lead this with my regular partner by leading the voleo with a slight lift and then use suspension to maintain the invitation to keep the leg up. The colgada action is integral to the voleo lead. If I first lead a voleo and then follow this with a colgada, my partner has no clear indication as to where I want the leg. Typically she will indeed drop the leg to default hanging position. If I clearly want to invite the leg to return to vertical, I will lead a very slight "settling down" return motion promptly after the lead to the voleo. Too much return motion of course invites her to kick you in the $&% with a front voleo (yes, when I was first learning I did exactly that and she did exactly that. Yowwww.)

I also lead a number of other moves that suspend the leg such as rotational voleos or interrupted volcadas with a similar suspension but in some other orientation.

12. Me

Me New Member

Ha! I just spotted a feather step. About 2:58.

13. opendoor

Re: suspension

it worked, but only with some women. Have to practice it a bit more ...
    !Thanks!

By the way, what do you think about the text of the song?

14. Aurora

Aurora New Member

I really liked the look of some of the colgadas in the first video. The opening one, and the sort of zoom-freeze look of the ones at the very end. Neat.

I wasn't as fond of the second video. I got bored and stopped watching partway through, I admit, because the song felt so monotonous. I wasn't a fan of her ragdoll style, either. A little too floppy for my taste.

15. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Me and Tangonuevo have offered good suggestions as to lead, although I do not believe that the voleo in the vid is led.

Incidentally, Me, though you do not dance this style, I have seen you dance that voleo in a prettier form (more like a back attitude).

16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Someone once said that if you want to be a good dancer, you must take.......you know the rest of that.

I also found it interesting, given another thread on styles/classifications, and another one on copying moves, that they took a favored Osvaldo Zotto step and danced it verbatim, but in their neo style (2:22-2:39).

17. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

suspension

I think to dance like that takes practice of the slow motion kind.

Also learn the karate kid turn: basically you (follower) pivot but leave the foot hanging in the air so it goes from toe up to toe down.