General Dance Discussion > Most Odd Tradition

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MissAlyssa, Jul 6, 2003.

1. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

What's the most odd tradition you've made up to get yourself ready to perform/teach/dance? Do you have any superstitions [ie: wear the same shoes, or say a prayer etc]? :D I have to count from 1-10 breathing deeply then kiss my necklace pendant lol. oOo superstitious! :shock:

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I used to always perform at the same place. To start I always had a choice between walking down two different flights of stairs. After a horrible performance one night, I always opted for the other flight of stairs for every subsequent performance (over 100).

Also, If I ever feel like I had a shotty performance dancing to one peice of music, I avoid that song at all costs in the future.

3. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

The right song makes all the difference :)

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Do you have a favorite song, right now?

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Well I know it's not traditional or anything but I'm diggin No Doubt-Hella Good to practice cha cha to [hehe] and I really like La Cumparsita for tango. :D

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"The right song makes all the difference"

MissAlyssa . . .

What you said about the song . . . is the "key" to my performance on the floor. In Jack and Jills, Scholarships, Just Dances, social dances, etc., I sweat more about getting "the right song" more than anything else. I don't worry about "what if I draw someone who can't follow me,' or should I be more fair to followers, and say, "what if I cannot lead this person?"

The song is my deal breaker! I once entered a "Hustle" contest, and knew, with the "lady with the great Hustle arms" that I was matched up with, that we would surely win! No doubt in my mind. Then, the music started! Ungodly slow for hustle . . . and I just wasn't there. So I did little more than basics, but my partner made up for all my inadequacies . . . and we did win, but through no help from me. Just couldn't handle the song. It would have been a better slow WCS song.

Same with the cha cha . . . if it's too slow . . . I have trouble.

[/b]