Most popular dance style?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by KevinL, Mar 27, 2009.

1. KevinL

KevinL New Member

What is the most popular partner dance style in the world right now? How about in the US? How about in your country of origin?

I've heard a couple of non-dancers recently say that salsa is the most popular dance style, but I'm not sure where that comes from, since those individuals don't actually know how to dance with a partner.

Based on my experience I would say that waltz is the most popular dance style, although I don't really believe it is true. Most people that I interact with know how to waltz, at least a little, because I mostly interact with ballroom people. Swing dancers would likely say that swing is very common, and salsa dancers would likely say that salsa is very common.

If you see the dance world from a broad perspective, what do you think is the most common (or most popular) partner dance right now? Why do you think that style is more common?

2. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Depends how you define the styles. If you include all the varieties, I would say swing.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not ...a ...clue...but if I were guessing...I might say salsa

4. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

Electric Slide!

(ugh)

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

Judging from the number of couples slow dancing at every high school prom, wedding, office Christmas party, etc. in USA, I say:

Clutch and Sway!!!

6. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

or bump and grind. :eyebrow:

7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

do ya mean, The Penguin Shuffle? ;-)

Judging from class attendance at our studio, I'd have to throw a vote toward Salsa being one of the most popular, if not the most popular. Swing might be a close second.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I remember asking one lady in the '70's/80's section of a very popular club, can't remember the tune, but when I attempted to lead her in a sort of adapted East Coast Swing, she said: "Can't you dance regular, like, Hip-Hop?"

Says it all.

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

In Goa, India they do a "jive" that I call hustle. I would think that this sort of confusion would make determining the most popular dance difficult.

I would say "partner dance". I often partner dance with people who have never partner danced and so do my own fusion partner dance style. I would say that more people do moves while connected to each other than actually dancing a particular dance style.