Swing Discussion Boards > Most Popular Swing Dance

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I was just wondering something; which swing dance is currently the most popular?

I would guess that it's a toss up between Lindy Hop and WCS.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

You might also consider East Coast Swing because it's taught in virtually every ballroom dance studio in the United States. I'll bet West Coast and Lindy are tied for second.

To confuse matters, Savoy style Lindy is quite different than Hollywood Lindy (which started West Coast Swing!).

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Savoy is the original I believe and the one being done by all the Lindy clubs.

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I met Frankie Manning once at a conference here in Atlanta. He was one of the original Savoy Lindy Hoppers. He is one truly amazing fellow. I sure hope I'm as vibrant and happy at over 80 years old. Is it the swing that does it? You'll really appreciate Lindy if you ever get a chance to meet him. He is still touring around the country. :)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow. It's amazing some of the cool topics that were posted long ago. Any thoughts on this, d nice? Vince A?

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hi Jenn,
    Yes, there are some really kewl posts, and I keep going back to peruse them now and then. I feel that we have a great cross-culture of dancers now as compared to maybe even six-months ago, so bringing them back up every now and then, may get some "new" responses.

Maybe each of us moderators should try to find one every week or two, and rekindle it. I know SD wants us to "re-think" how we can do things, maybe you have a good thing here???

As far as Swing goes, it's hard to say what is the most popular. If I had to guess, I would say Lindy, but not in the circles I'm around. I see maybe 1 Lindy dancer to every 100 WCS/ECS dancers, but that is only because I go to those kind of events (WCS/ECS). I'm sure if I went to an all Lindy venue, I'd see little or no WCS dancers. Maybe? Kinda? Sorta?

I really love to WCS, but because of what I've read on this forum, I now want to learn the Lindy, just so I can go to more events. Once the Lindy is started . . . on to more Ballroom!

Oh, by the way, I wonder if the WCS is the most popular dance in CA? I've heard that it is the official State dance! Yeah, right???

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think the answer to this question is best answered on a regional level. Even definitions change from one region to another. For example, swing and shag are synonymous in South Carolina.

8. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I would like to think that it's Lindy. But I have my doubts. I think WCS is making a huge movement here in the New England.

9. d nice

d nice New Member

Jitterbug, definately jitterbug, which includes both ballroom East Coast Swing and club East Coast Swing.

I suspect if you are talking about straight West Coast Swing, Lindy Hop is more popular (ignore the style differences it is exactly the same dance). If you include things like Push, Whip, Bop, Imperial, Smooth Hand Dance, etc. Then "WCS" is much bigger, but truthfully they are all seperate forms of swing dancing with their own unique genesis.

I'd say that WCS and Lindy are equally popular in California, with WCS having a little more of an edge.

10. pygmalion

Huh? Jitterbug includes a couple varieties of ECS? Does it include anything else?

Just as an aside, is there a swing family tree somewhere? How the heck do you keep track of all this stuff?

11. d nice

d nice New Member

I'm smart. 8)

12. d nice

d nice New Member

I actually had created a tree or style map at one point. Alas with the loss of my old computer, it disappeared into the digital domain.

13. pygmalion

And cute, too. :D

Anything else you didn't mention about jitterbug? And, just out of curiosity (all due respect to you American rhythm people) where does jive fit in?

14. d nice

d nice New Member

Jive was a danced spawned by Europeans (well the British anyway) as they tried to copy the lindy hop brought over during WWII.

Jitterbug as a dance style is the descendent six count dominate form of the lindy hop danced in the 50's to Rock and Roll which gave birth to the Ballroom version East Coast Swing.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Umm, what does Jive have to do with American Rhythm? The ballroom version of ECS is danced in the Rhythm division, Jive is danced in International Latin (which makes sense given its Eoropean genesis).

16. pygmalion

Yup, SD. That was my point. A change of subject from swing (American Rhythm) to Jive (International Latin). :D

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:doh:

...guess my brain must be on idle this morning. :?

18. pygmalion

I can so relate. I have had a grand total of something like 20 hours sleep in the past week, and I can barely function. If I say anything stupid, forgive me in advance.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I honestly do not think you are capable of saying anything stupid!

I surmise that you are a "beautiful (albeit I do not know what you look like), classy, and highly-intelligent," 100-percent lady.

As such, I know that you "think" before you speak? And act?

Yes?

20. pygmalion

Vince. :D I'm sending you mental kisses and hugs.

How do I say this? Hmm.

Physical beauty and intelligence are great if you have them, but far more important is having internal beauty and emotional intelligence. And there, I think everyone is capable of saying or doing stupid things from time to time. Especially in a medium like this -- instantaneous, cold, and easy to misinterpret -- it's easy to hurt or offend unintentionally. Yes, I do spend a lot of time thinking before I speak, and after I speak, too. The most important thing this forum has, in my way of thinking, is its people and their feelings. That's truly the foremost thing on my mind. Dance is a very close second. I really care about you guys. A lot. You've all become so important to me, even though I don't "know" any of you. So I always try to be careful with everything I say, because I care about how you feel.