Swing Discussion Boards > Most Popular Swing Dance

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Mmmmm . . . thanks. Remind me to wipe off the lipstick before I go home??? :wink:

I believe we are all capable of hurting someone or saying (writing) something wrong in the DF. It is difficult to put the thoughts into words without making them sometimes being construed as wrong or callous.

I further believe that no one person, with the exception of just one, is intentionally capable of being demeaning to another here. If I could stay on line and hooked into the DF 24 x 7, I would just so I could catch the bad ones and edit them or delete them before they "go to press."

I think many of would if we could!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes to all you say. I just feel blessed to be in a place where there are so few bad eggs. Pretty much everyone here has good intentions, and that's what makes the forums one of my favorite places to be. :D

Give Carolyn a hug for me, too. :D

Jenn

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

That's because dancers are happy people :D :D :D

4. jon

jon Member

That's not my experience, based on living in the not-so-deep South 1987-1997. The swing and Carolina Shag communities were very distinct, the shaggers tending to be 40-ish smokers and drinkers, the swing dancers being much younger and having different vices, and there was very little crossover between the groups. There is somewhat more interaction these days but they are still quite distinct groups.

OTOH use of "swing" as a generic label for what you dance is a frequent point of contention between WCS and Lindy dancers who care about such things.

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

There is some truth to that statement, Jon. But I will say you can go to bars in Atlanta and people use both "swing" and "shag" to describe the same thing. I think you are more right than me though. :oops:

Still, I think what is more popular is more related to the region and there are significant differences in what is popular by region. Ex. - Shag is huge in South Carolina when compared to any other form of swing. I would be willing to bet that there are more dancers per capita in South Carolina than in other state in the US.

6. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

You should come to North Carolina. You might lose that bet here.

7. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

I think I resent that comment. :lol: I'm 46, and until last January I was a smoker, and I'm most definitely a lindy hopper. Carolina Shag and the music it's danced to makes me want to barf. I do know what you mean, though.

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Here in Atlanta the shagger crowd tends to be older. The Lindy Hop crowd is 30ish people but there are plenty of people in their 40's and 50's.

9. pygmalion

Okay. Now I'm totally confused. Is there a most popular swing dance? Or am I hearing that it depends on where you live and how old you are? :? :?:

10. d nice

d nice New Member

There is, club style East Coast Swing (Jitterbug).

It is the most popular style in the country... but there always places that will have a different dance locally or regionally that is more popular.

For example if you go to San Francisco and dropped into a venue advertising swing dancing you are going to find Lindy Hop. Myrtle Beach you'll find Carolina Shag. However you often find people in both places that know jitterbug, and their main dance, and no other.

11. jon

jon Member

Sure, every swing dancer has a version that's their most popular one :)

You'll notice an absence of any objectively verifiable, statistically valid data in this discussion, mostly because there's no way to acquire it.

12. pygmalion

Hmm. I'm sure everybody has their preference, and since I'm not yet a world-class swing person, like the rest of you, I'll reserve my decision. In the meantime, I'll vote with d nice, and learn some more jitterbug. At least I can take that with me. :D Plus, if I understand correctly, the ECS I know is part of the jitterbug clan. So I'm not as ignorant as I thought. At least I know something. (My tuck turns still stink, though!) :D

13. d nice

d nice New Member

Nope, empirical evidence is as close as you'll get. Personally I think this is a good thing.

14. d nice

d nice New Member

One of the biggest problems with followers on turns is they don't let the leader "drive the turn", they just snap themselves through it.

Yes the turn has a "count" it is "suppossed" to be done in, but since swing allows for improvisation on the rhtyhm and duration of any move, you need to let the leader dictate how quickly you move through a move. Your frame with the momentum and direction your leader has given you is what causes the turn to happen, not reaching a specific "count" or step.

Of course this is assuming the leader is actually leading. If he is trying to use signals instead of move you then all bets are off. He has failed in his primary responsibility, leading you, and therefor you can not be expected to follow something not lead.

15. pygmalion

Yup. And to me, observations are data. Since you've been all over the U.S. and the world observing, I think I can take your word for it. ...
    At least until I take ten more lessons. Then I'll challenge you on everything you say. *giggle* :lol: :lol:

16. d nice

d nice New Member

You should challenge everything I say now. We can all make mistakes, and the observations of a newer dancer are every bit as valid as those of an experienced dancer.

I won't take the questioning as a personal insult.

17. pygmalion

He He He! :lol: :lol:

And I won't question until I have at least a clue of what I'm talking about! :lol:

18. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

:lol: *sigh* that is such a great idea!

19. pygmalion

Hmmm. Why do I feel that there are some double entendre's in play here? Hmmm. :lol:

20. pygmalion

Hey Mr. nice! :lol:

I give up. Two rounds of asking my private instuctor to set up lindy classes, and no luck. Not enough interest. Can you recommend a good lindy teacher in or near Orlando? PM me if you want.

Thanks. :D

Jenn