Swing Discussion Boards > Most Popular Swing Dance

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Mar 11, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I hope you have a nice day too D'nice...and I look forward to your future posts about all varieties of swing dancing. The information you provide is gold... even to a non-swing dude like myself! :wink: 8)

2. d nice

d nice New Member

Re: Vince's Dance List

Not true... check out the US Swing Dance server. Most of the dances listed (excluding the hustle dances which are not swing dances) have at least a brief historical blurb if not an actual description of the basic.

The Varsity Drag is a silly rag time dance. Fun in the same way as the grizzly bear and bunny hug are fun, but not really much to explore for the "serious dancer".

What you are doing wrong is you are trying to do some square dance. The Texas Tommy Swing is a partnered swing dance. Which you should know by now. Tell you what Frankie is going to be back here in Northern California in the new year. You have my personal invitation to attend. You may take any class or sit in on any class, we'll find a place to put you up. Both for free. I extend my personal invitation to dine with us and you can ask Frankie questions to your hearts content, I won't comment or interfere in any way shape or form. PM me for the details if you are interested, in taking me up on my offer. While you are here I'll teach you the basics of the Texas Tommy Swing. Get ready to sweat it is a fast athletic dance.

3. d nice

d nice New Member

Re: VARIFICATIONS

SO what are you saying here Joe? That by providing the very information you asked, I am dropping names and not providing verification? What an interesting view.

How about a little respect and doing your own leg work. I've led you to the water, it is up to you to do the drinking.

Savoy Lindy Hop? ANd you danced at the Savoy when? Who taught you the Savoy Lindy Hop? When was that? When did they dance at the Savoy.

Actually... I have... I just thought it was more politic to refrain from commenting on them and instead direct my critiques about all the erroneous information that has been posted on Dance Forums. Trust me, you don't want to open that door.

Joe you accusse me of this again and again. It is starting to sound 100% as nothing more than a personal attack, and a completely unfounded one at that, since every time you make the accusation I ask for you to provide evidence. I'm done asking. I want you to either provide a specific example and include the hyperlink to my misquote or admit you are attacking me personally and apologize. You realize personal attacks are against Forum Guidelines and are grounds for having your posts censored, your posting priviliges suspended, or banned from the forums entirely.

If evidence or an apology is not forth coming you can expect this to be handled by the moderators. I will abstain and allow them to do as they see fit.

Joe, my statements that contradict yours are not "off-handed" they are well thought out, well substantiated, and well articulated replies. Just because they don't support your own "world view" does not mean they are wrong.

Joe, add to this the historical archives the Smithsonian maintains and my discourse with Savoy Dancers and you have the basis for every statement I have made that counters your "contributions". I'm pretty confident that everyone here understands that I already have all the ammunition I need.

Wow. That is all I have to say about that statement, wow.

Joe have you ever danced at the Savoy Ballroom? How many times have you danced with a regular follower from the Savoy Ballroom? Have you ever taught with any dancers from the Savoy Ballroom? When did you start dancing "Lindy Hop"?

4. suek

suek New Member

a cult survivor chimes in

I love this "I will never divulge" stuff. Makes students/potential students hot for the knowledge; puffs up the wannabe guru/possessor of secret knowledge. I am the master and if you treat me good baby I'll teach you what I know but you must keep it to yourself; secrecy--keeping the pressure on--will make you a better dancer/meditator/whatever fill in the blank.

IMHO, the dancers and teachers who share what they know for love and/or money pass it on so much cleaner than this come into my web and I'll share my secrets with you crap.

(okay sue breathe and do something safe like your work!)

blessings all,

sue

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Off topic I know, but I've gotta ask. Sue, are you going to the DF family reunion? I'd love to meet you. :D

Um. What is the topic again? Most popular swing dance? Um. Hey d nice. I'm going to PM you the names of some lindy teachers around here. I need some input. I want to start learning some new dances after my ballroom competition on Sunday. So mid-month, I'll be ready to go again.

6. pygmalion

My last post was off topic I know, but hey, everybody around here does lindy, WCS, or ECS, with a few balboa people thrown in. No jitterbug'ers that I know of.

7. suek

suek New Member

If the reunion is gonna be at the Reno thing in April, I'm there. If it's some other time/place tell me.

I know...let's change the topic to ... no I won't do it; I won't go there. No dish here. :shock:

8. pygmalion

Cool! I'm looking forward to meeting you! :D

I know. Let's change the subject to the most popular swing dance! What a concept! :lol: :D I believe a couple pages ago, d nice stated that the jitterbug is the most popular swing dance overall. And I was shocked to find that the ECS I know is in the jitterbug family. D nice, is there any other dance sub-group that could be called part of the jitterbug family? Just curious. On a quest for knowledge, and on a quest to learn every partner dance known to man! :lol: