Most useful/least useful club dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 9, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This question has come up in many forms in many another thread, so I figured I'd compile it in one place.

If you were strictly a social/club dancer and had to pick ONE dance to learn to do well, what would it be? I'm talking something that would serve you well at office parties, dances, weddings. If you could only do one dance in that context, what would you pick?
  2. Sakura

Sakura New Member

You're so eeeeeeevil! You're gonna make us choose?! :shock: :shock:

...Okay... Well, based on my limited experiences, I'd go for Cha Cha. It's light, it's fun; could be romantic (So it'd serve well at a wedding; you know, something light, fun, and playful like a beginning couple, I suppose... *shrugs* Okay, speaking from an outside view of relationships. =^_~=), so you could do it in a club, at a party, or any other dance setting. :D So, that's my idea.

...*pouts* I still can't believe you made me choose... :twisted:

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Cha Cha is my choice as well. :wink:

Edit: or WCS
  4. voilsb

voilsb New Member

Swing. Suitable for tempos of 60bpm - 360 bpm, uses your entire body, requires body-leads, covers everything from slow, sultry, romantic, or flirty to energetic, playful, or balls-to-the-wall, and emphasizes dancing *with* the music so you can "socailly fake" other dances if need-be. Additionally, swing dancing has a large history of utilizing the break-away to also dance improvizationally separate from your partner, which provides a basis for solo dancing, too.
  5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm forced to choose something that I wouldn't do. Swing it is. The basics you learn with you can do to almost any music. You can do them to disco music in lieu of hustle. You can do them in salsa as I was doing it before I dropped swing to learn salsa properly. You can do use your knowledge to to turns etc when waltz and foxtrot comes on, while keeping to the beat of the music. It looks a littel different from other people, but you can do something if a person is willing to tolerate you, and most poeple are if you at least keep to the rhythm/beat of the music.
  6. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Salsa, what else? :D
  7. Sagitta

Incorrigible Peach!! You really think that what's they play at office parties and the like? Not in my experience!! :( But, I'm working to change that! :wink: :)
  8. Laura

Laura New Member

At the office parties I went to when I still had a job they'd play ambient, dub, downtempo, trance, house, jungle, and electro. So nothing taught in a ballroom ever came in handy there....
  9. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Lindy, absolutely. The reasons are given above, it incorporates so many different elements. You got fast and slow, dancing to rhythm and/or the melody, open and closed position, partner and solo, introvert and extrovert and even aerials like jumps/throws/drops etc.
  10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

At my office parties they paly no music...

Weddings - Romanian traditional music... when I get married I'll change that for SALSA!

Socials - I do not attend socials unless forced to... I hate them... unless they play SALSA! - so, if I'm forced to go to this social where there is no salsa, I won't dance... just talk to anybody interesting...

So, I guess the answer is still SALSA!
  11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

while they may be a great degree of overlap depending on one's perspective, i personally would not put club dancing & social dancing in the same category. moreover, i know a good number of "social" dancers whose abilities & technique are comparable if not superior to those of would-be competitive dancers.

having said that, at the present it's my weakest dance, but the dance i see have having the most potential for being used interpretively depending on the music for being alterately romantic, elegant, playful, flirty or high energy as well as being able to choreograph for a dazzling exhibition is argentine tango.
  12. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

In that particular context, none of the partner dances would be much use as you wouldn't find a partner to dance with (I suppose leaders have an advantage here -- what can a follow do with a clueless bunch of drunken guys?). At office parties and weddings in Scotland, you get some Ceilidh dancing, and the rest is all freestyle solo dancing to chart/house/70's-80's cheese.
  13. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

:lol: There should be some kind of secret hand-signal you'd only learn after social dancing for a couple of years. So whenever you'd find yourself in a non-dancing crowd you'd just scratch your right eye with your lift pinky or something, and any guy noticing and knowing how to dance would know you could follow! 8)
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I would have to say swing. Except, I didn't specify exactly which variation. That might mean east coast swing, west coast swing, or, my favorite, hustle. 8)
  15. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

LOL. They will when I get done with them. :lol: :lol: The thing is, the people I work with are quite stoic so they will not appeal to "any" dance. So the Incorrigible Peach will Make Them So if given the chance. Wanna help?!? :lol: :lol: A salsera can dream, can't she? :wink: :p 8)
  16. pygmalion

Good point, tsb. The dancing I do at a wedding and at a club can be quite different. (I rarely grind at weddings, for example. LOL. :wink: )

The question I'm asking is one that has come up in several other threads. It is,"I have a very limited amount of time to learn a little dancing for a social function or outing. What should I learn?"

Incidentally, I know a few people who have approached their social or club dancing this way. One couple in particular, whom I love dearly, comes to mind. The two of them were young and dating when the bop, a mid-tempo swing-derived dance, became popular. To this day, that's the only dance they do. They wait until an appropriate swing song comes on, which one always does, and they get out there and put everybody to shame with the quality of their dancing. Neither one of them could foxtrot to save their souls. But boy, can they bop!

If you had to pick only one dance to use in that way, in clubs or in other social settings, what would it be? Why?
  17. pygmalion

btw. My picks for most useful: rumba for people who prefer slow dancing, ECS for people who prefer faster dancing

Edit: I should have said a swing dance of your choice. Swing almost always fits in. I picked ECS because it's what I know best and because you can use single, double or triple to fit various tempos of music. But any swing dance you like would work just fine, I think. 8)

Least useful: samba At any given time, there may be a samba or two in the top forty, but, if I had to conserve my dance learning energy, I'd skip samba. You could sit them out or freestyle to them, I think.
  18. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the social settings i'd anticipate would be work parties and/or wedding receptions and i'd expect american top 40. i've never been to such an event without hearing kool & the gang 's "celebration" which i would use as the prototypical song in terms of percussive beat & tempo. WCS would work but take too long to master compared to something like hustle - which could be done without the syncopation as a four count step. with those caveats & assumptions that's what i'd recommend.
  19. pygmalion

No!!!! :shock: PLEASE don't pick hustle as a most useful dance! :shock: Just kidding. :lol: I do so hate hustle. :?

That said, I can see the merits. Lots of up-tempo top 40 stuff, techno, house, and, of course, 70's/80's era oldies are perfect for hustle.
  20. Sagitta

First the question was one, and now it has switched to two!! :shock: Hmmmm....

You know what I say? Pick the dance you like, bring along a CD mix of the best songs, and play it. That way you have the music you can dance too. If no-one else can dance it then you can dance it with someone and let everyone just stand watching you, wondering where this other side of you is coming from -- that is if they don't really know!! :twisted:

To a certain extent it is a jungle out there and survival of the fittest. Every dance that I can I get a bachata or two in. If I see there are enough people I try to get a rueda started. If people want to learn afterwards I don't mind showing them. That is the way to popularize the dances you love.