Salsa > Move the hips (again)

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by serg_juv, Nov 4, 2003.

1. serg_juv

serg_juv New Member

Hi,

I've already read the threads about moving hips, but this is a topic I'm really bad about :(

I'd like to know if it's possible to move your hips "on the spot", without implication of your legs.

Also, I'm not sure if your buttocks should move when you move your hips or not (or maybe it's just me that I do it very bad...). What I try to do to move my hips is hit at an imaginary point with my buttocks.

Thanks

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome abroad serg_juv, glad to hear you read the other threads on hips as well.

Well, lets describe the bone structure first in order to paint a clearer picture; hopefully. Your hipbone is attached to your spine at the top, and the femur(Thigh bone) on the bottom part, which in turn is attached to the knees. The knee in turn is attached to the fibula(Shin bone). What is known as the Buttocks muscles happen to be attached to the hipbone by what we call tendons, hence forcing a move of the butt muscles whenever your hips move.

In order to move the hips/butt, you must bend the knees, if you want more movement then use the ball of your feet to accentuate even further that movement.

In answer, yes you can stand on a spot and move the hips as long as the knees or feet are causing a raise and drop of the hip bone either on its left or right side. To move the buttocks you must move the hips bone, that is, if you aren't talking about shaking (rump-shaker) the buttocks where you can rapidly shake part of the lower body and cause a shake on the buttocks.