Movies About Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Feb 21, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Tango the Obsession

I find it rather strange to list Adam Boucher's film Tango:The Obsession as a Copes film. This documentary features a number of dancers. Carlos Copello is the most prominent.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Welcome, El Rey del Tango!

Thanks for pointing that out about Copes. I must have read incorrectly. I changed the notation.

So what are some other good Tango movies or movies featuring a Tango performance?
    (I just remembered "Scent of a Woman". I'm going to add that one to the list).

4. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Assassination Tango

5. pascal

pascal Member

Tango (Saura)
    Would be The tango lesson, if Sally Potter had just directed and not played.
    Certainly not Assasination [of] tango.
    Never seen Tango Bar. Saw "Parfum de femme", but a long time ago when I had not yet taken up A.T, and I can't remember the scene.

6. newbie

newbie Active Member

Some Like It Hot, the tango scene

7. DancePoet

I vaguely recall a tango in True Lies.

8. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

There's a breathtakingly beautiful tango in Indochine between Catherine Deneuve and her adopted Vietnamese daughter when Catherine Deneuve starts dancing tango with her to keep the girl away from CD's young French officer lover who is attracted to the girl. It's really exquisite.

And for sheer joyous camp, don't forget in the first Addams Family movie (the one with Raoul Julia and Angelica Houston) where Gomez and Morticia dance this incredibly over the top tango, complete with the rose in the teeth, and flames of fire igniting on the dance floor. I need to watch that again. I haven't seen that movie since before I started dancing tango.

In Chicago, of course, there is the Cell Block Tango, but it is so modern and stylized that only an experienced and serious tango student would even recognize it as tango. I mean, sure, I recognized all the movements, but it would be hard to call it tango, mostly because it was done as a prodution number, and not as a partnership dance. But, it was still very interesting. Anything Bob Fosse did is worth studying, even though this was another choreographer's interpretation of Bob Fosse's original choreography, and it was re-done for film rather than for stage. Still, it was fascinating.

I don't remember a tango in Some Like It Hot!!! Gives me an excuse to watch it again!!

Renee

9. casa

casa New Member

Guess which one is my favourite ?

10. naranjo en flor

naranjo en flor New Member

I love Gardel's movies. Particulary, "Eldía que me quieras"I've bought some of them at Farolatino.com
    I think that it's a site from Argentina

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. I saw this movie long before my dancing days. The tango didn't stick with me. :? Gotta check it out.

12. naranjo en flor

Do yo know that Astor Piazzolla appeared in one of Carlos Gardel's movies when we was a kid? I think taht it was in "Mi Buenos Aires querido" (nice film too!!)

13. naranjo en flor

Check this link. You'll find wonderful Tango DVDs

tienda.farolatino.com/browse.do?dispatch=requestSubCategoria&subcategoriaId=1011

14. DancePoet

I saw this movie, too! Very good film, Catherine Deneuve was super!

Don't recall the dance. Bummer. Maybe I can find it somewhere to watch this movie again.

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am always tickled pink to see partner dancing in any movie or any form of media.
    Tango is especially powerful and passionate. I adored the Cell Block Tango. I would give my life to dance and sing! a number like that on film! I loved that whole movie.

I saw a touring Tango theatre performance in San Diego many moons ago - about 15? maybe? It was extremely powerful, emotional, not merely sexy,[1] but all the way to scary, with all kinds of political stuff, whipping and strange stuff.
    I can't rememeber the name of it. It was dancing, of course, several vignettes, storytelling. Did anyone see this?

[1] I never thought I'd say "merely sexy"!! :!:

16. macha

macha New Member

In ALW's The Phantom of the Opera, "Past the Point of No Return" aka Don Juan Triumphant was a PERFECT OPPORTUNITY for a tango, but did they take it? NOOOO.

Dont' get me wrong- I'm of the opinion that it's blasphemy not to LOVE that movie (by gawd), but gosh darnit!- it had GERRY BUTLER, Emmy Rossum, Minnie Driver, all these hot people, smouldering music and subtext... and no tango.

THAT was a lamentable mess.

(I'msosorryi'msorryi'msorrymisterhobbitalwiloveyourmoviepweasedontsendthephantomwraithsaftermejustgerrybutlerinathongwithoilsowecantangoplease)

17. newbie

newbie Active Member

Saw "Shall we dance" in the plane to Buenos-Aires. There is a scene where Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez dance on Gotan Project's "Santa Maria". But I don't know exactly what they're dancing. It's not A.T., and it doesn't look like competitive ballroom A.T. It seems they're not dancing, just taking poses for a photograph.

18. salsamale

salsamale New Member

19. Me

Me New Member

The opening theme for the movie Twelve Monkeys is a Piazzolla piece. They never tango'd though. Just... time travelled and shot each other. (Good movie!)

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Yes its Punte del Este Suite which you can download from www.7digital.com