Ballroom Dance > multiple teachers/coaches

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by sbrnsmith, Feb 22, 2016.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

That opens up a whole different box- do you stick with one teacher, alternate between different teachers, or have different teachers for different styles? Is that considered stepping on someone's toes? Is it acceptable?
    Sorry to turn the thread in a different direction...

2. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

I have three different teachers currently: a private standard coach, a private coach who teaches "everything else," and a group standard instructor. All three are very supportive of me learning from the other two. Since each teacher "has a separate purpose," no toes get stepped on.

3. sbrnsmith

Do you use the words coach/teacher interchangeably?

I'm talking about teacher, as in the Pro half of ProAm partnership.

4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

That definitely seems to be the way to go, and it's how I work out my instruction as well. My instructor though likes me to dance with his partner from time to time so I get the more feminine side of things from her.

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I have a smooth pro that I compete with and I have a different Latin pro that I compete with. The mrs does rhythm with one pro and Latin with another

6. Mr 4 styles

I know a few open gold females that do the same

7. sbrnsmith

So everyone is cool? No bruised egos I presume?

8. Mr 4 styles

Yep they are all good friends one husband and wife team. Other couple they are pro competitive partners

9. sbrnsmith

What if the 2 teachers are from different competing studios?

10. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I have known of people competing with teachers from different studios, but I don't think that's as common--perhaps just because you are more likely to be acquainted with other teachers at your "home" studio.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  11. Mr 4 styles

Our pros are independents so they often use multiple studios. Not really affiliated with only one

ocean-daughter and stash like this.
  12. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

I spend blocks of time in different parts of the country. I currently have a main teacher, who knows I get lessons from another teacher when I am in that area. It is a lot of fun, as I get quizzed and we get conversations like "so, how do you interpret X step, have you tried it this way, we do X here, what do you do? Wow, that's a super ending to that amalgamation, what if we add X, I like that idea, can I use that..." and so on.... and of course (as those of you who have been reading the shoe thread will know) "have you talked about back-weight? (me, sighs and extends more) Oh!! you have, that's better..." And when I get back to my main teacher, I can show him some of the changes/new ideas. I find working with different teachers answers my questions in different ways, and allows me to explore/investigate different body dynamics due to the difference in age, physique, energy and so forth between the instructors. They both teach International Standard. I have also had a few coaching sessions with my main teacher, which we found immensely valuable.
    I would use "teacher" for when I am dancing with him as a partner, but "coach" for when I am dancing with a partner with a third person present who is teaching both of us.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  13. Grateful

Grateful New Member

My husband & I take privates from 1 instructor mainly. There are 5 awesome instructors available at this studio & guest coaches a couple times a month. We took a private from a different instructor once when our usual one was on vacation. I took a solo private once with a different instructor when I won a free lesson & my husband was away for work. Our usual instructor specifically had me take a private from one of the other instructors because he is really good at fixing people's frame. All the instructors rotate who teaches group classes & I usually take group 5 times a week so have had all of them. I like different things about each one. I really like our main instructor because she knows my husband only does this for me & she wants him to stay so she keeps it fun. I don't care if someone keeps it light & fun or if they push me til I cry as long as I'm learning

14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I will state this: I feel in the AM/AM world it is very different. Most couples will have one pro dedicated to the style (or one pro per style) they are competing in, but will also visit other coaches to get different things out of them, and there are usually no hard feelings.

Like some coaches for standard focus mainly on the base (feet and legs) to keep everything else in line, but sometimes you need a coach more focused on the topline when you really need help with the top half of your shaping (even though base and top go hand in hand).

Miss Silly and scullystwin42 like this.
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am currently doing open smooth and open rhythm, my current pro also teaches latin, but no longer does standard pro/am....I used to dance all styles but now, at the open level with a new pro, if I was to add a style I would prefer that it be standard rather than latin....and I don't see myself being ready to even contemplate more on my plate this year...but, in the future, if I still had a burning desire to do standard, my hope would be that if my current pro didn't want to make an exception and resume standard dancing with me, which I would completely understand, that he would be okay with me picking up a standard only pro...provided it was someone whose skill/ascetic wasn't one that he felt would run counter to what we are doing in smooth...I know that he has at least one student who dances one style with someone else....at any rate, I feel like I have enough on my plate now and I want to learn more about rhythm since I have never really been in a good situation for learning solid current rhythm technique, but it doesn't make my heart sing like smooth, or even standard...who knows, at some point I may just switch to smooth only but just do a bunch more of it....for now, I am content doing smooth and rhythm and I feel that smooth is what I am best suited to be doing anyhow

sbrnsmith and Mr 4 styles like this.
  16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I did, and sometimes still do, have different teachers for different styles. While there is a continuing rotation of various coaches I stick with two or three whom I "get" what they are communicating, when they give me and pro instruction. While my main teacher is at one studio, the others are also at different studios. This works just fine and the pro's are fine with it.

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

At the moment, any teacher that has an issue with me seeking information from different sources won't be a teacher of mine for very long (or you know, at all, because I'm a big girl now :p).

I have been with the same pro since the beginning - all the way from "so, I need your right hand" to open... though it hasn't been without its bumps. Part of the reason that has been possible is because he has adapted his approach to allow me to incorporate information from various sources and to take more ownership of my dance journey as I advanced. In the last year, we have taken outside coachings together, and I have watched/attended lectures and seminars, taken technique classes (both private and group) with others, and spent countless hours experimenting and trying things out on my own. All of that information is coming together to allow me to find the best way for me to produce the desired result, and to develop a personal style. It has nothing to do with pro... his instruction is excellent (obvi, or I wouldn't be where I am), but sometimes I need a different thought or idea or approach.

I do compete with him exclusively at the moment, but also know that if I decided to pursue latin more seriously, he'd only be taking me through gold or possibly pre-champ. He's a 10-dancer, but with much stronger standard skills. He also knows and is supportive of my goal to move to am-am competition.

Sania likes this.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Here, no, I only have the money and time for one lesson a week and even if I had the resources to do more, my pro teaches all four styles. In Boston, I danced Rhythm and Latin with one pro, and Smooth and Standard with another. No conflict, but it was the same studio, they were the co-owners, and the one doesn't teach Smooth and Standard (can, just doesn't as a rule.) I would only consider going to two different studios if there were something one couldn't provide AND both sets of pros were aware of the others and comfortable with it.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. davedove

davedove Active Member

As with any course of instruction, I feel there is value in getting instruction from different people. Each instructor tends to have a somewhat different focus, even for the same subject matter, so this gives additional insight to the student.

Now, you do need to be respectful of each teacher and be aware of ego-bruising. I also don't think it's good for a brand new dance student to have additional instructors too early, as that can be confusing if their focus is too different, although that might not be as big a problem if the instructors are all in the same studio.

RiseNFall likes this.
  20. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Mostly I have taken lessons/competed with one teacher. At times I have had more than one but they were at the same studio so no style conflicts. We have coaches that are brought in regularly so there is always outside information being added to my lessons. I have been taking lessons from some of these outside coaches for years so they know me and my dancing pretty well. The different presentation of information is very helpful.