Tango Argentino > Music Preferences

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by will35, Sep 28, 2003.

1. will35

will35 New Member

I think it is customary when we talk about Argentine Tango to ask what are the person's favorite orchestras and/or periods. And why? if the person cares to say. Another thread could be favorite particular tangos, waltzes, milongas, etc.
    I mean for dancing tango, not just for listening. That would be an entirely different thread.
    Anyone?

And what kind of things did they play in your first class, Pygmalion? Di Sarli, perhaps?

-Will, 35 yrs. old

p.s. Of course, we understand that these tastes are subject to mood and partner and environment. But I am speaking in general terms. Please, no fights over the artist with the surname that begins with Pi.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, no idea. At this point, I'm just trying to learn to control my body in some very unfamiliar movements. :x Give me a week or two, then I'll have some preferences. Right now, I'm just trying to hang in there! 8) :D

3. will35

will35 New Member

Remember, most of the things you do in Argentine Tango probably should feel natural. The balance may take some time. Since you have started, I might as well tell you, you'll never be able to quit practicing just walking. That sounds strange. It should be as close to natural as possible, but it is difficult. Simple is always difficult for most people. One of those method actor teachers used to pull a trick on his students. He would ask them to walk in circles around the stage with the rest of the class watching. The walk looked contrived, silly, as though they were acting. Then, he would say "Just keep walking, but think of the most important thing your father ever taught you." All of a sudden, the walk turned natural. They were not concentrating on the walk any more. A jazz horn player practices scales all day and night. He practices them up, down and all around, in majors, minors, pentatonics, lydians, mixolydians, blah, blah, blah. Then, when he plays, he just does it. He doesn't concentrate on what he is doing, but on something else. Strange. Listen to as much tango music as possible. Try todotango.com, look for the orchestras from the golden days.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes, will35, that's sort of what I thought. What is tango, if not walking (stalking) across the floor? It's the very basic, but hey, without the basic, there is no dance. So time spent practicing tango walks is definitely time well spent. :D

5. Lucrezia

Lucrezia New Member

Music

ok, here are my favourites:

old Tangos of the golden age and earlier, much earlier. As a matter of fact, my favourite orquestra ist Orquesta Tipica Vicor with Elvino Vardaro playing the Vilolin. When I hear him playing his instrument I have to concentrate in order of not humming loudly or twisting my face in funny ways. (I always dance with my eyes closed, and when the music and my partner are perfect and I start amusing myself... well, then I loose control over my face... :wink: )

And of course there are Biagi (Especially his version of "Nada") and Caló and Fresedo. And Pugliese, not his very dramatic pieces, but the softer ones (CD: Ausencia) ...

Now I have to stop before I start writing an essay about Tango Music and before I start quarreling over the artist named Pi... :wink:

Greetings,

Melina

6. will35

will35 New Member

I'd gladly read your essay on the music. I happen to love the Victor Orchestra. Sometimes I hum a little when I dance. I try not to sing, most of the women don't like that. I like diSarli, Laurenz, Cobian, Rodriguez, Tanturi/Castillo. The normal stuff. But I think my favortie is Demare. I prefer the Zorros Grises to D'arienzo. Troilo earlier stuff and Canaro are okay. I can even stand a little Gobbi every now and then. I really, really like D'Agostino. I love Firpo. I think some of his things are so neat and well made they sound more like a theme and variations. With Firpo, you always know what you're hearing, no confusion. A long time ago, I was just crazy for Calo. That was all I wanted to hear, Calo/Beron, Calo/Podesta, whatever. I don't particularly hate the Pi man, I just don't understand why a person would dance to it when there are diSarli and Demare. A lot of people don't like the noise on the old recordings. I think of it this way. The old fidelity is about one third as good as the new. The music on the old is about thirty times as good as the new. If I do my math correctly, I am about ten times more likely to listen to the golden age stuff. I do like to dance to live music, though. The problem is, Maffia and Laurenz are dead, so we have to get what we can on the recordings. I am just thankful they didn't invent recording music sixty years after they did.

7. Lucrezia

Lucrezia New Member

Music

Hi Will35,

you're totally correct in what you say about fidelity!!! Better to dance to an old piece of Victor with scratches than to a piece of the "Artist who was called Pi". :wink:

And another thing: I don't understand why you find so few modern orquestras who try to play a little more like the old ones. Modern tango-musicians seem to be a bunch of individualists who play music which draws attention to the musicians and is made for listening. The older ones were content when they made the people dance all night long.
    Well, times change. And I'm a helpless anachronist.... :cry: [/url]

8. will35

will35 New Member

Exactly right. The way singers are nowadays, too. They can't sing with an orchestra, but sort of against it. In the old days, even the stars like Libertad Lamarque (and she was a star if I ever heard one, in the way Judy Garland was a star); they sang with the orchestra. I guess one of the reasons players are the way they are now is that they don't dance. D'Agostino said, "I am a milonguero in the best sense of the word." He really felt good when people liked to dance to his music.