Tango Argentino > Musicality - what does it mean to you?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by LivingstonSeagull, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

And, oh, hey, I see there is more about 3-3-2 in Tracing Tangueros: Argentine Tango Instrumental Music By Kacey Link, Kristin Wendland, including Piazzolla stating that it he was influenced by accents "similar to those of the popular Jewish music I heard at their weddings."
    Actually, a whole lot more.

2. tangoaroundtown

tangoaroundtown New Member

Choreography and musicality are closely linked.

Doris Humphrey said about choreography "be neither a slave to nor a mutilator of the music".
    Stated positively about musicality: be in the music (not a mutilator) and play with the music (not a slave).

Musicality thus means moving together with your partner in the music, expressing it's rhythms, phrases, contrasts and energy changes. It also means finding musical motifs and turning them into movement, on the fly.

To move together in the music, you must first be able to improvise well, because you don't always know what the music will do next. You must also communicate well so your partner understands what you are asking, both when you stay and play with the music.

MaggieMoves, Angel HI and sixela like this.
  3. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I like to think of a really musical tango couple as an extra instrument adding its own voice to the orchestra.

tangoaroundtown and Mladenac like this.
  4. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

Tango 3-3-2 is the same rhythm as the first half of the cuban Son clave (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &). Son goes on to finish with (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &). I haven't looked for the full clave in tango, but who knows? Hooray for African rhythms.