Salsa > Musicality

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by borikensalsero, Oct 6, 2005.

1. salsabor

salsabor New Member

musicality is everything in any dance.. the more you know about the music, its break, and timing.. the better execution, expression, and connection you will have with it and your partner.

2. sweavo

sweavo New Member

haha, great concept! From time to time I take cowbells, bongos and shakers out to the local salsa practice sessions and some of the interested dancers have a go and I show them some of the rhythmic elements. I like the airguitar idea because it doesn't put the other dancers off when someone plays out of time!

But to teach a class that way... I think they would want their money back!

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Why want their money back???

4. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Because most of them will not feel they have learned something, and will not have perceived the behaviour of the teacher (me) as being serious or even rational. It takes a particular frame of mind and repeated exposure for that stuff to start to work on you.

"He was supposed to teach us salsa but he just put on a song and mimed to it like an idiot"

5. devane

devane New Member

It depends on the person. Some people are quite happy blindly copying sequences without explanation or theory. Some people but fewer have no problem learning the basic (mambo step) over a few weeks, at the same time learning how to move correctly(hips, posture), learning the relationship between the steps and the music.
    This can be a gamble for instructers who know that this could loose students who just want to be entertained, especially beginners.
    The learning the right way method has to be presented carefully.
    My own instructer told me this who used to teach in Brazil the slow way.
    This way it meant that Styling and Musicality were not "additional concepts", they are "basic concepts". So pattern monkies were not existant.

ps
    just adding I love the term "pattern monkies". I don't know where I read it but it's really nice.

6. azzey

azzey Member

I disagree as I have found it a very effective tool at teaching. The two key ingrediants here are demonstration (how to magically predict and hit major instruments and accents) and participation (getting them to realise it's not that hard to do). You can explain the breakdown of the musical elements all you like but until they participate in simple rhythmic tasks and enjoy it they'll not progress.

This is exactly along the same lines as SHUT UP AND DANCE. Stop talking about not being any good at salsa and just do the basic!

People pay to learn, if they don't learn they'll definitely want their money back!

BTW, I bought the Mambo Fello's Phrasing and Timing CD's a couple of years ago (after I had spent a lot of my own time working out how to intuitively do it) and it is indeed excellent material to practice from.

7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

expression

A simple answer to a complex question-- having taught for more yrs than most of you reading this have been alive-- the one thing-- above all others-- that i see on my my travels -- is missing from 98% of " Dancers "--is lack of alma y corazon in their interpretation of any given song-- flash and trash rules-- how sad

8. tangotime

to-- all the music sounds the same

I have a very simple solution and suggestion for you--- If possible- play a track from most any tito rojas album -- after digesting the music -- play-- for example-- deculpe me senora by " Canario "-- if-- after this experience-- you STILL say it all sounds the same-- i suggest you take up Waltz !!!

9. esa negrita...

esa negrita... New Member

Dude...I was dancing with this one salsero last week to "El Preso"...which I absolutely LOVE...and it took every ounce of my being not to snatch my hands away so I could dance by myself...I was hoping he'd catch some of the more intense moments of the song and want to be free too...but nope...so I decided to just smile and do what I could without disrupting him:rolleyes:

One day though...the musician in me is going to win out over the fledgling dancer...

10. devane

devane New Member

I love all Jose Alberto's songs :) I have about 6 or 7 of his cd's. One of my first cd's was his.

11. tangotime

devane

have you ever seen him perform ?-- what a truly amazing vocalist--- he really has no equal as far as what he can do-- imitating instruments along with the band !! -- there are others who come close-- willie chirino-- willie crespo-- and the lead singer for niche -- maybe bordering on salsa monga-- but so sweet to listen to -- and of course many great great singers with different styles .

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

There is a group of salsaseros I know that would faint if they were to read this. The canario part is all good, but the rest would cause them pain.

13. tangotime

borikensalero

music -- as you know -- is very subjective --am curious why they would re act that way ? ---think i know the answer-- too romantico in their stlye ?-- remember -- we were talking about voices-- not--hard core -- pregunta -- puerto ricano ?

14. alemana

alemana New Member

15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Not really hardcore, most of my salseros friends think of salsa like me, there are great songs from anywhere and everywhere.

Timbre... they don't really like it... their approach to soneo as well, some actually don't even have one... Also, when they sing their romantica stuff, they don't have the soul that makes one go. Yummmmmm...

16. tangotime

borinken

Totally agree-- so much choice -- guess could not live long enough to hear everything ever recorded-- thats why it is so nice to run across something after all these yrs that is new to me -- was listening to an orlando radio station recently ( i am in u.k. at this time teaching ) the music-- was really good--- wish they had something here like same .If you go to salsa jive-- it will take you to posts about many topics-- at the very last post-- you will see a section for favorite songs -- mine is near last and starts with Flex -- not even close to what i really wanted to put but space is somewhat restricted .

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Now I fully undertand your observations on the previous post...
    It was hard to find my way through the site... took me about 20 minutes to find the post.

18. tangotime

borikensalsero

Watcha think of the site ?

19. yola

yola New Member

Like the advice queen Victoria gave to her daughter on her wedding night: close your eyes and think of England....:shock:
    Ah, when will (some) salseros learn that dancing, like so many other things, is more fun when both enjoy it?
    And when will some (some) salseras learn that the guys. like in so many things, will not knów what is possible, unless we show them or tell them?

20. tangotime

Yola

Yo sabe !! ,por fin se supo el, secreto , tambien ?