Salsa > Musicality?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by MacMoto, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Istel

Istel New Member

Hiya ppl!

I just wanna say that the advices you guys were a great help! :D
    Was out dancing a few hours ago, when my usual gang wasn't around...
    So I had to go around asking for dances from "strangers" :( :lol:

I was still having problems trying to improve my lead. As I went around trying out my usual stuff, I ended up having a difficult time AGAIN leading some of the girls whom I was dancing with. They seemed pretty tensed up for some reason. Anyway... all I can say was that the results weren't pretty... :cry:

Then for some reason, I didn't know what got into me. I decided to ask one of my instructor for a dance (the horror! :shock:). She looked pretty surprised as I've not really talked to her much 'cept for some questions on my rueda moves.

So getting her on the dance floor, I did my usual so what again... :? Though she was "smiling", I could see that she was just "patronising" me or should I say plain bored... (For some reason, I hated to see bored looking faces when I'm dancing with someone, it's an insult to my self esteem... :lol: ) Thinking that enough was enough... I decided to spin her off for shines.

THEN, I decided to ditch all the crap that I've learnt (the sadness of being a 100% "pattern dancer"! in the words of our dear mod :D )and just danced to the music (thanks to the advice given here) even though I was just randomly tapping/moving on the floor, I did it to the exact beat and tempo of the music. For some reason, she seemed to brighten up and did more shines as well... ^-^;;; anyway, she seemed pretty happy after the dance and I asked for her opinion on my problem. She said everything was pretty okay, even though I knew it was not (we got stucked when I tried to tunnel her... :oops:) Sigh... guess she was just being polite...

Anyway, the opinions from one of my friends was that, he was surprised to see me holding myself pretty well when dancing with her. Although it might just be an encouragement for me, it pretty much made my night, even though I went around saying how badly I did on the dancefloor with my instructor...(it's the truth :oops: )

So thanks a lot ppl!!! :D

P.S. Just a little request. I'm having problems trying to make ladies look good while dancing with me, so is there any threads addressing this problem? Also, when the girls are doing shines while in Titanic postition(eh... I wonder do we use the same terminology...) what should the guys do? Just holding her hands and stand still (that's what I do normally, maybe I'll do a few butt shake if I'm feeling it...) How can we guys amplify her shines, so that she really shines (pardon the pun)on the dance floor?

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'm really glad to hear this! I don't think she was just being polite... when you can just dance to the music it's great fun, and she must have enjoyed doing shines with you a lot. Stop talking yourself down... give yourself a pat on the back for what you've managed to achieve -- asking your instructor to dance and making it an enjoyable one, which is a great thing. Remember what it felt like just to move to the music, and always think about it when you dance.

I think you may find this thread interesting: http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=54084&highlight=#54084

I think it's wonderful that you are thinking about these things -- you know, the first step to achieving these things is to start thinking about it. Many leaders don't. I don't know if there is a specific thread on this issue, but here's what I think.

- To make ladies look good, you have to make them feel good. When they feel good, it will show in their dance. So focus on how you can make her feel good rather than thinking in terms of "what move can I do to show her off?"

- To make your partner feel good, dance with her. Salsa dancing is about you and your partner sharing a song and expressing it through your togetherness. Look at her, smile at her, see how she reacts to your lead, see what she's doing and respond to it. Make your dance a truly interactive experience.

- Unless both the leader and the follower are very good dancers, I think having too many moves spoils the look of the dance. Too many moves make the dance look busy, and doesn't give the follower the chance to shine (in the sense of looking good rather than freestyling). Doing a fewer number of well-executed moves where the music calls for a bang looks so much better and shows off the lady to better effect. Also, don't rush your moves (another thing that tends to happen when you try to put too many moves in a dance). Take your time and always, always dance to the beat of the music.

3. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm sure there are threads about this wether directly or indirectly.. but this was answered in this thread b4 i think..
    in a word the answer is to 'love the salsera' .. 'find the connection' ie. dance with her like u and her are the only people in the universe.. and be as 'smooth and flowing as possible'.. the rest automatically takes care of itself and are more or less technicalities that u learn with experience and adjust according to the salsera's dancing and mood

for me, i do varied things depending.. u could just stand still as u said and provide support..
    other times my legs are fixed but i work my hips and shoulders and arms with her shines.. or
    i let her go and shine opposite her.. but at much lower rate than her so as to keep the focuss in her..
    or i provide her with support by keeping my hands out and fixed but work with my feet doing various salsa footwork variety if in place..
    or i pull away while she goes at it full steam and all i do is watch her and do some playful flirty moves like popping my chest like my heart is beating like mad.. or for instance squat down and do mad shoulder shakes while slowly moving in a circle around her..or.. go around her with sideways steps and rotating the hips full circle and reverse.. or pumping/shaking it etc.. etc..

there are many many things u can do.. these are just some of the stuff i do so that maybe u get an idea out of it and do it your way..

plus i would say that if u are in tune with the rythm and her.. then feel free to improvise cause it will be unexpected and usually this is the stuff that makes it more interesting.. as u did with your instructer in your post.. ie. once u are in flow.. be sure to ride it 8)

4. Big10

Big10 Member

Sounds like a great time! Having fun during shines can be contagious, so it doesn't surprise me at all that your instructor/partner brightened up when you started having more fun yourself.

Even though I wasn't there, I'm guessing that she was indeed genuinely "happy." Having a good time during a dance isn't always about 100% flawless execution. Just like anything else in life, it's how you adapt after a mistake that can make a tremendous difference in how you are perceived. Yes, you should try your best to execute the moves, but if you don't get it exactly right, then just continue to have fun while you try another move....

5. Sabor

Sabor New Member

well said/wrote brotha

6. Istel

Istel New Member

Hee, thanks for all the encouragements, will remind myself to groove in the music next time I'm out salsing! (which is tomorrow night I guess...) :D

Say [​IMG] to mindless pattern dancing!

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Way to go Istel. Have fun -- after all, that's the whole point of salsa dancing! :wink:

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

By the way I have discovered that AT is really good for improving musicality. It is helping me see my salsa in a new light, and may I suggest that it will help you see yours too? :wink: :) And, after all BTM has spoken of taking salsa, so we need to reciprocate, n'est pas?

9. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

:D :D :D Just love that line.

10. CyberKnight

CyberKnight New Member

Learning

I learned from the musicality dvds on her Dancefreak site

11. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

It was me. Just kidding. But seriously. I want to be her. This perfectly explained what I've been obsessing/dreaming about accomplishing in my dancing.

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, how amazing that description. Such heaven...

13. azzey

azzey Member