Ballroom Dance > Videos > My Casablanca-themed foxtrot routine

Discussion in 'Videos' started by MikeRose, Jul 19, 2007.

1. MikeRose

MikeRose Member

Videos of my performance, and of the original choreography, are on this page:

http://www.squidoo.com/comedancing/

I'm a 50-yr-old man who started dancing just over two years ago, mostly with the goal of becoming a good social dancer. I'm also a nearly lifelong fan of Humphrey Bogart, and almost from the time I started taking dance lessons I had it in mind that I would eventually perform a routine to As Time Goes By from Casablanca. So I'm proud to say that the concept for this routine was entirely mine. Oh, and Macintosh geek that I am, I dubbed the dialog from Casablanca into the music myself as well, and had a field day putting the video together in iMovie, so, really, what you're seeing combines three of my biggest passions.

Mike

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

way to go, mike! it looks like it was a lot of fun! it doesn't look like you were nervous at all, either.

congrats on realizing your goal & being able to combine so many of your passions into one event! :D

3. MikeRose

MikeRose Member

Thank you! And I really wasn't all that nervous, certainly not on the level of how nervous I used to be when I occasionally had to do some public speaking. I think my heart rate stayed relatively low, but my palms were a little clammy. I think the only way you could tell I visually that I was nervous was if you knew what the timings should be and see where I rushed things (some quick-quick-slows turning into quick-quick-quicks and some positions that were supposed to be held until a count of eight that ended up more like six).

4. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Samina's right, it looks like a very fun routine. And you look very cool out there.

5. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Mike - I can't view videos at work :( but, I will definately look at it tonight. I LOVE Casablanca so, I can't wait to see your video.

6. MikeRose

MikeRose Member

Thank you! Yes, it was a lot of fun for me, and I had a blast out there. It was also my first time giving any type of performance, other than an occasional talk on a technical topic, and, I have to tell you, the applause Amanda and I got was wonderful! I can see how people get hooked on the rush of getting applause.

7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

:applause: That was a lovely performance! You make a dashing Bogie. Nice job with the dubbing and the video, too. Thank you for sharing!