Country and Western > My first dance competition in nearly 6 years!

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by SlowDancer, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

I danced pro-am at the Lonestar Invitational last weekend in Austin and I had SO much fun! I danced only two dances, night-club 2-step and waltz, and I got golds in both. For NC, I wore a wonderful dress that I bought from a fellow DF-er and got loads of compliments on it. For waltz, I wore my Lyn Wallender American Smooth gown and it got raves, as well.

Considering the relatively small amount of prep time, I thought it went exceedingly well, meaning I felt that I danced almost as good as my dresses looked:). It felt so good to be on the competition floor again.

Also, I was lucky to be able to purchase a pair of weltless shankless skintone Evenin' Stars from a vendor there, after messing around too long to order prior to the competition. I really, really lucked out and was ecstatic that they had a pair in my size.

Now to get ready for the Country Classic next month...:razz:

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

Sounds like a ton of fun!

3. 9dncr

9dncr Member

:car: And off you go!!! Congrats and welcome back to the comp floor! Many more success' to you!

4. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

congrats. glad you had fun, and that the dress was good! =)

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

SlowDancer, CONGRATS on the two golds . . .

Off topic . . . anyone going to San Jose at the end of the month???

6. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Thanks for all the congrats...I know it's really no big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it is such a major thing for me.

QQS Girl, the dress was stellar!:D I will try to get around to posting a pic or two tonight.

7. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Just posted two photos from the comp - I'm PO'd because I tried to crop and sharpen them and tinker with the lighting, to no avail...and I'm still waiting for the professional action shots to arrive in the mail.

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

SlowDancer,

Nice pics . . . you look beautiful . . .

One question though . . . was the comp a UCWDC event? I have a reason for asking!

9. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

No, the Lonestar is an ACDA event. ACDA events are in Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma, but there are competitors from other nearby states, such as Louisiana, Missouri and Mississippi. Next year there will be a new event in Louisiana.

Why do you ask?;)

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I think AZ too . . . maybe, yes??? We've been to an ACDA event in Phoenix.

Well, I remember my wife . . . about two years ago, in Las Vegas . . . she was trying on some Chrisanne dresses. After trying on several she decided to ask a friend, who is a judge about dresses that are see-through where you can see the bodice or dance pants underneath the dress. Her friend, the judge, said that she would deduct points for "that dress." Larinda was there, she may know more about this!

I noticed your black dress, and it is see-through . . . sexy yes, but make sure that Bob checks it legality in other venues if you do them. Obviously, you didn't get any deductions with two golds . . . but make sure you get your score sheets to look for any comments.

BTW, I really have not heard of anyone getting dinged for a see through dress, and I've seen many of them on the floor. But . . .

Congratulations again. Will you be adding more dances? You only need, what . . . 3 more to compete for overall winner? You have a good start!

11. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

I thought that was why you were asking. I showed Bob the dress several weeks before the comp and told him I was thinking of having a black underskirt made to wear with it. He said, nah, ACDA is pretty lenient about costumes, let's give it a whirl. So I did. And there were no comments whatsoever on the score sheets about the dress. However, one of the male judges on my judging panel told me later that he LOVED the dress. And he sorta winked when he said it. Stupid me, I wasn't even thinking about the see-through-ness of it, I thought he just liked the dress!:doh:

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Kewl . . . I'll see Dave getty next week in San Jose . . . he writes the rules for the UCWDC . . . I'll ask him about it, but I know that the UCWDC is also getting lenient and costumes are sure getting skimpy lately . . . not that this Italian is complaining!!!

I'll let ya' know his answer . . .

BTW . . . I just like to help, and wasn't trying to diminish your glory . . .

13. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Thanks for checking about the UCWDC rules. I haven't competed in one of their events for a long time, but I'm sure I will want to in the near future. I knew you weren't trying to diminish my glory...no worries.:)

To answer your eariler question, I have a good two step routine ready to go and just need to add chacha and either WCS or ECS. It's difficult when you work a lot and your pro is over 3 hours away...especially when your pro also has a fulltime day job, a professional partner, a wife, and several ams! I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it may be a while before I get an entire program on the floor.

Back to the dress issue; I would like to have a new waltz dress made, or buy a gently used one, but just haven't had much time to pursue it. Which reminds me, your wife has some awesome dresses!

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll keep you posted . . .

Suggestion . . . does Bob have other Ams? Couldn't he give you a tape or DVD of his routines with the other Ams? Then you could at least start getting familiar with dance and the counts where moves are executed??

Dresses can get so expensive! Thanks, I'll pass that on to Care . . . .