General Dance Discussion > .....my instructor just quit.......

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Fretful_Porpentine, Feb 17, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so sorry to hear this happy shoes...there is a possiblility that he will land somewhere where you will find him...however, I am sure that the loss and the lack of warning must feel very disappointing...it is very difficult not to get attached to one's teacher...in times when I have struggled that way...I hold on to my dancing even more tightly with more determination to make it work through whatever transitions come...until it feels okay again...I know that is easier sadi than done but it can be done...many hugs

2. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

If he's not relocating very far, you can try to get his contact information and take lessons with him wherever he ends up. It's very hard not to commit all your effort into one instructor. If you cannot meet up with your instructor, you will just have to share your goals with another pro and hope he can take you there.

3. I know there is always concern of an instructor "taking" their students when they leave a studio. This may be a reason for why it was abrupt and he did not inform you. Perhaps you can find him on facebook :) :) and find out where he will be that way. Then there is no "solicitation" on his part and no legal grounds for the studio to sue if you do follow him. :)

4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

My story exactly!!

Our main instructor had an opportunity to teach in Fla, and had to act immediately.... Tonight we had a weeks notice that next week is her last week. I am not nearly as devastated as you.

This is going to happen to you again and again. You need to be thankful for someone being committed to you for the time you have. Then you move on, you will find another instructor who will be just as commited to you as your previous one. Sure it takes some time to re-connect with a new person, redefine your goals, but it happens and in the end you will probably end up being a better dancer because of it.

I have really enjoyed all the personalites of each coach I have worked with but bottom line is this is a business relationship, we are not friends or buddies even though it may seem so at times.... When you get past that and accept that this is simply a service you have purchased you wont be so hurt by it all.....

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Went through similar situation not long ago. Pro is still at the studio, but is no longer teaching, just running the studio. Admittedly, I had been pretty sure that it would happen eventually as soon as she started taking on the management role, but didn't make it any easier. It does pass though, and you never know, may actually be for the best.

6. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your instructor happyshoes. Some instructors can really make a huge difference in our dance lives.

But as fascination said, at times like these you do have to hold on to your dancing and determination, and keep your eyes and mind open, you never know what opportunities changes like these might open up for you.

Best of luck to you....

7. jaredv21

jaredv21 New Member

Where were you taking lessons happyshoes?

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Try and find him.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats not necessarily the case. Some studios make instructors sign draconian 'no compete' clauses that preclude teaching within a defined area as well as previous clients. I remember one in the MD area that actually went to court but it was ruled that because the instructor had grounds to leave the clause could not be applied. Probably most such 'agreements' can be countered in court due to unreasonable grounds, duress for signing etc but what instructor who is just starting up again has the resources to do that?

Still, I agree with KSFL - if he is still in the area you should be able to find him either through the internet or by asking other dancers - if he is good he will be the proverbial 'mousetrap'. And there is no point worrying about the above unless and until it proves to be the case.

As said above, it may also be an opportunity to find someone even better ;) At least review what your needs are before you do seek him out. Your goals may have changed a bit (more interest in competition, a different dance style) so give it a good thought before committing.

Good luck finding him - or an even better one :)

10. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

I'd be down too

It's understandable to be down & out. If you see your instructor, say, once a week you're seeing them more than most of your friends. And even though they're being paid for the time they spend with you you'll miss them like a friend and no new instructor will feel as good - at least for a little while. I agree with other posters that you can probably find him. It sounds like you didn't get a chance to talk to him before he left? If it turns out he's not in your area I'd write him a note letting him know you appreciated him and that you'll miss him and that will hopefully provide some closure.

Know that you will find another good instructor (use the "I'm in shock and not ready to commit to a new instructor and need to try a bunch of people" explanation to try a bunch without feeling guilty) but it's totally OK to mourn the loss of this one.

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That would be my suggestion as well, if he's still in the area. Try finding him on Facebook or Myspace. As well, there's always the telephone book. Also, you could ask other students if they know where he went.

Best of luck.

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Pretty much agree with all of the above. The FB search, etc is a good idea. If he signed a no-compete agreement, I'm sure he'll tell you when / if you find him.

FWIW, it is the nature of the beast - people move all the time, not just dance teachers, and ETP might be right that it will be a blessing in disguise. We had a really nice teaching couple join our studio and then *poof* one day they were just gone. I empathize with you though.

<OT>

Welcome, Scorpio!

<BOT>

13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I had that sort of thing happen to me about 5 years ago. Came in for my lesson and found that my teacher does not work here anymore. The story from the management was that he pretty much woke up in the morning and decided to quit. The reality of it was that they fired him. But what the management did not know however, was that we worked out in the same gym (it is a small town, afterall), so I hooked up with him within days.

P.S. that's not the one I'm taking lessons from now, that was my previous one.

14. happyshoes

happyshoes New Member

Thanks for your responses. I have a lot to reflect on.

I spoke to other students and nobody knows anything. All are pretty upset. He'd been at the studio for more than 7 years and many have been with him for a long time. The studio tells me he wouldn't comply with their policies and decided to leave. I worry that the quality of instruction will come down, since he really was quite above the other staff. I believe he even trained some of the other instructors.

The facebook idea is a great one. Keeping my fingers crossed that he will get in touch.

Since I am forced to consider the other instructors in the studio, I have decided to expand on that and look at other studios as well. I didn't know enough (anything) to make the right choice when I started, but maybe this is the time to look at the whole situation with an open mind and heart.

One question as I explore - I have been learning American Smooth and Rhythm until now. There is a studio here which teaches International Standard and Latin. Is it a good idea to switch? I have been dancing for 1 year now.

15. fascination

dance mechanics are dance mechanics...sound instruction will benefit you regardless of the style...if you must trade, trade UP...as to your former pro...google his name from time to time and also go to the local comps...if anyone was in the loop and followed him, they will be there and they will know

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Dance is dance, do what you like, certianly at least try the international studio. I still dance American, but new pro I added after I left old pro is a latin dancer, and she's helped me immensely in my rhythm. heh, and in my smooth, for that matter. :)

17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

If he was the most experienced instructor there, the quality of teaching will come down, unless they replace him quickly with someone experienced.

That's what happened here. The question is - how fast it will come down.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I echo fasc's counsel & words of support, happydance. Well-said.

Wishing you good things as you decide your next step. And am remembering the old "closed door, open window" adage... Hug.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[Sam: maybe thats the advice the stockbrokers took after the 20s crash.... seems to me the opposite would work a bit better from my office on the 14th ;)]

20. fascination

huh? you recommend trading down and or not learning from the best possible teachers regardless I their style?...am confused...sometimes clarity is the sacrificial lamb of wit