General Dance Discussion > .....my instructor just quit.......

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Fretful_Porpentine, Feb 17, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

correct

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Sam :'closed door leads to open window'
    Me (on 14th floor) prefer: 'closed window leads to open door...'

thats all...
    definitely sacrificed the clarity lamb (oops, there I go again...)

definitely do NOT recommend trading down!! I think this is the opportunity (as said above) to look for an even better match using the experience she has gained....

3. fascination

thanks...am not firing on all cylinders today so your usual pith is even more beyond me than usual...and now...BOT

4. fascination

and on that...I have found that when you are too devastated to move...it doesn't really matter what is open and what is closed...you just have to find a reason to crawl away from the hurt until you are well enough to fly again

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Crawl away, ornot gety an option. :) wasn't really sure what I was going to do when pro stopped teaching, but luckily, wasn't left up to me. I just went along with flow, staying at same studio and continuing to work with my buddy teacher. Since FP was still manager there, she picked new buddy teacher for me, which worked out great, as she already knew my level of dancing, how I learn, etc. So I definitely lucked out in my situation. ALMOST left for stagekat's studio though. ;)

6. fascination

well sure...if you have someone you trust who can help you choose that is great

7. eclipse

eclipse New Member

use your investment

When you lose your instructor like that there are a couple things to remember.

If you really clicked with your instructor then finding him is ok. (if he is available)

If he isn't available, try a few others. You might find one that teaches as well or better.

Most studios have a no refund policy. If you still have lessons on the books, use your investment. The more you dance, the better you get. All teachers have some knowledge to offer.

Eclipse

8. fascination

sure...however, OP states that he was the best instructor there...obviously if she has a no-refund policy she will likely have to run that package out...but should be on card about being lulled into something that may not be in her long-term best interest...though it is true that little gems can be gotten from almost any teacher...

BTW

Welcome to DF eclipse...and thanks for all of your very useful posts thusfar

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Happyshoes you have had great advice so far. I think it would be a great opportunity to try out the other teachers. Your former teacher may have been the best for you up to this point but you never know what someone else has to offer until you open up enough to look and see.

I am sorry, it does stink to feel hurt or abandoned. But I hope you percieve it as a fork rather than the end of a road.

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Depending who's left, she might be able to demand a refund. When this happened to me, I had about 25 lessons left. I decided I will use them up at one-per-week rate with the next-best guy on dances I didn't do much, like salsa, because I hooked up with my teacher (see my earlier post in this thread) and we were planning to compete, and I was going to put more effort on that front anyway. But then 2 months later, the next-best guy was also let go, and they offered me a brand-new 6-week wonder who danced fewer months than I did years. At this point I demanded a refund based on the grounds that they cannot offer adequate instruction and got it.

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

It also depends on how (if this is the case, we're a bit out on a limb here ;)) the contract was agreed to. If it was for lessons at the studio it may be difficult but if it was specifically for lessons with that pro then she has a good case.

12. 2totango

2totango New Member

Read your contract carefully! If you came into the studio because it was close to where you live or your friends dance there or you heard good things about the studio itself, you will have signed a contract with the studio and sad as it may be, if your instructor leaves, you have contracted with the studio. If you come in to a studio because you want lessons with a certain instructor and you've made that clear, you may have cause for breaking the contract if your specified instructor leaves. Just my .02

13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Even if the contract is with the studio, there still may be some recourse if they do not have anyone left to teach at the level she needs. A crude example - let's say the student was working on her silver, and all the remaining teachers in the studio are certified for bronze but have not passed their silver level tests. I think the student would have a case for a refund then.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

funny how your 2c are identical to my 2c in the preceding post.

Thus 2+2=....... 2 ;)

15. happyshoes

happyshoes New Member

I am at a franchise studio and will have to look closer at the contract for cancellation policy. Unfortunately I have quite a few lessons on my contract, since DH left the studio after he got tired of the constant sales pressure on students.

A major problem I am facing is that the studio claims all of the remaining teachers are equally great. There is no statement anywhere of the dancing profile of the teachers. One starting point I have is observing their current students and reflect on the group lessons I have taken with them over the year. I must say the picture is not very pretty right now.

16. 2totango

2totango New Member

Well, elise, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....or, in my case, of not reading your post carefully. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Well, in that case I feel very flat indeed. :rolleyes: ;)

18. 2totango

2totango New Member

And you should be!