Ballroom Dance > Videos > My lovely partner and I dancing New Vogue

Discussion in 'Videos' started by WaltzElf, Nov 13, 2008.

1. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

2. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

3. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

4. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I haven't watched all of them yet, but I picked my two favourites for now (Charmaine and La Bomba). I like the arms that your partner uses in the la Bomba, and I just realised that we dance the Charmaine to the same piece of music!

6. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

I absolutely loved the Carousel music! :DAnyone share my sense of humour at all? LoL

Great dancing!

7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

With a name like WaltzElf, I always pictured you as much shorter. And well, quite honestly, dressed like a Keebler Elf, so being a tall guy in tails threw me for a moment!

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. except now that i think of it...LOTR elves are tall & slender like our waltzelf...that must've what was on his mind. :)

interesting seeing these NV dances for the first time. it gives quite a different impression from the standard & smooth that i'm used to seeing.

thank you for sharing, WE!

9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

WE - thanks for sharing your videos. I loved all of the dances. I think I want to learn New Vogue - looks very cool!

11. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Very cool. And it seems like everyone being judged on the same routine might take some of the randomness out of judging. Are the qualities being judged basically the same as for ballroom?

Also, I noticed there was a lot of shadow position. Is that typical of NV?

12. Lioness

Yep, most of the New Vogue dances I know have it in there.

13. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

14. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Performance (Arms, styling, presentation) tends to get judged more in NV than standard, since the choreography is the same, and there’s no chance the judges will get blown away by a couple’s chore.

Technique is roughly the same as the equivilent standard dances (technique in Tango is more or less the same as technique in La Bomba), with some slight differences, and yes, shadow position is used in most dances.

Thanks everyone for the lovely feedback :)

15. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

The carousel is a elegant, romantic dance that suits us really well, and is one of our better dances.

Unless we get a piece of music like that, and then it's a nightmare to connect to the feeling of the dance.

16. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Interesting. I would have assumed the opposite--that technique would be judged more because you can really compare everyone's footwork, etc. at the same time.

17. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

At a certain point, everyone's footwook and precision is equal enough that the performance itself becomes much more important, from a judging perspective. At a beginners' level I absolutely agree.

18. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

I tend to think New Vogue as individually choreographed from couple to couple, surely there are set footwork and hold, but the style, presentation, character, expression etc vary greatly from one couple to another, this is more prominant in higher level than say level 1 or 2. Sometimes I do find that one particular couple stand out in one dance out of everything else on the floor even they are essentiall doing the same steps!

I'd say shadow position is more frequently used in lower level dances and up in the higher level you tend to get a mix, or even less shadow position. I think to be fair, that shadow position contribute to about half of all new vogue dances, the other holds you may have include your normal ballroom hold or single hand hold with man and lady side by side.

Carousel is definitely a very elegant dance! Love it too! By no mean I want to offend anyone or mean critisism, but most couples in the carousel seemed to be rushing the music a bit, perhapes it's because the rather unorthodox music the used, or it could simply due to fame rate difference in the viedo.

Foot work is definitely important, and there are some very detailed and intricate footwork involved in new vogue dancing, which the judges definitely look at, especially at lower levels as WaltzElf said. Things such as the proper use of heel and toe, the control of ankle in rise and fall to get the smoothness, the swivel in between steps etc. Another aspect that set out the difference between couples are their musicality and musical expression. Although all the couples are doing the same steps to same timing, the rythym and musical expression may differ significantly. Each dance has its own character, a new vogue tango should also have stakato just as normal tango, foxtrot should have the softness as in standard foxtrot and in new vogue waltz, although the music has a very defined patter of 1 2 3 1 2 3, there will be different use of the music to allow the quicks and the slows to be distinguished as well.

Apologies for almost taking over the thread with all the above. I am by no means an expert in new vogue, but I love new vogue dearly!

19. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Nope, everyone (including us unfortunately) were not using the music as much as we could have. It's usually our "calmest" dance too, but that music was impossible to connect to :(

Incidently, that La Bomba track is a very common one at competition, and my favourite NV Tango piece. I'm glad I finally got to dance to it :D

20. Lioness

Hear, hear!