Tango Argentino > Videos > Nada - No Key change

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, Feb 9, 2012.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

tango songs are characterised by a change between minor to major key
    but this doesnt. Are there others?

2. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

No idea, but watching the clip, it occurs to me that she should urgently get some shoes that fit her: she's taking silly risks.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

dress code missed

Interesting approach, Border, and thank you for starting an interesting discussion again at last. But, I dont follow your idea. The aim of changing the key traces back to DeCaro, the inventor of tango de salón (the so called decarian revolution). For me, musical variation and the existence of a striking melody is a token for good or bad pieces in general, but not for revealing the membership to a genre, at all. Think you remember my caustic criticism of some representatives and orchestras of the tangomilonga style in the 30s and the club style in the 40s. These rhythmic schools forgot or better fought against the harmonic ideas of DeCaro. On the other hand Caló (the musician of the musicians) stood in the tradition of salón tango and he stood as well in the tradition of the italian (napoletana) influences on tango (I once started a thread on the pizza connection in BsAs, but I cannot find it yet). So Caló made a good choice in producing Nada, which was written in 1944 by Dames. According to todotango Dames on the contrary did not thought about music theory, deCaro, and key changes: "Melodies came to me while walking in the street, on the streetcar, anywhere". By the way, there actually is a recurring change to minor in Nada! Or do you regard relative keys not as minor keys?

finally a word concerning the couple: their dancing style absolutely fits to Caló and the music literally seems to be written for enrosques, lapizes, and planeos. But, please forgive me, Nada simply requires a double-breasted suit!

4. bordertangoman

I b*88*er all about the principles of key changes and why they work and why they dont.

I assume it was a formulaic thing then when you reached the B part of the rondo you switched.

but for malena. its a lousy song but if it didnt have that key change in the middle and stuck how it started out it would be an improvement.

there is no logic in the lyrics that requires it so why put it in?

looking at the sheet music I saw for it it was 4bs all the way down.

A flat major?

5. opendoor

I like simple keys! 4bs awful. So the more I love Caló. Nada is played in C major/ A minor without any accidentals at all!

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I was actually OK with the suit, but I didn't care for the tie. Do you think a red tie would have been a better choice?

[​IMG]

7. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

No.

I could suggest other colours (I have a tie with one of the colours matching that suit perfectly), but I'd be branded as gay by most people who haven't met me in the flesh if I made any suggestions¹ ;).

Looks like the Oranjekerk location in Amsterdam. Etched a scar in my memory because one lady said "thank you" after the penultimate song in a tanda. A good incentive to work even harder at being a more pleasant dancer...

By the way, opendoor, I think this is the version of "Nada" played by di Sarli, and it's definitely got that peculiar di Sarli feel to it. I'd dance very differently on Caló's version.

--
    ¹Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but I'm not, even though I know too many colours to be straight.

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

We tango people have an artsy side to us.

:cool:

BTW, you're right, that was the Di Sarli version of Nada.

9. opendoor

Thanks, I´ll check it out. BthW, if you got one, may I ask for an mp3 of it?

10. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

It's on Spotify, if you're interested.

11. bordertangoman

okay here's the Calo version

[yt]4cFSBnyiRKg[/yt]

having listened to both I prefer Di Sarli's, without the key changes?. There must be different arrangements, and maybe the sheet music I have could be different again from either of these.