Swing Discussion Boards > Name that tune

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DanceMentor, Aug 8, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm trying to figure out the name of a song I really like. It's an old swing tune. Here are some of the lyrics:
    "Shoot the sorbet to me Herbert" and "Ice cream you scream we all scream for..."

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hmm..anyone know?

3. d nice

d nice New Member

Sounds familiar, I want to say "Tutti Frutti" by Slim & Slam (Slim Galliard and Slam Stewart), but I could be wrong.

4. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

did you google it? :)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I do so love google. Here's what I found with the ice cream lyrics. Will go back and report on Herbert momentarily.

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream
    (Howard Johnson, Billy Moll, Robert A. K. King)
    Transcribed from vocals by Tom Stacks performing with Harry Reser's Six Jumping Jacks, recorded January 14, 1928;
    From Harry Reser's Six Jumping Jacks, volume 2, The Old Masters, mb 128.

Oh!
    I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

In the land of ice and snows
    Up among the Eskimos,
    There's a college known as Ogiwawa!
    You should hear those college boys,
    Gee, they make an awful noise
    When they sing an Eskimo tra-la-la!

They've got a leader, big cheer leader,
    Oh, what a guy!
    He's got a frozen face just like an Eskimo Pie!
    When he says, "Come on, let's go!"
    Though it's forty-five below,
    This is what the Eskimos all holler:

Rah! Rah! Rah!
    Tuesdays, Mondays, we all scream for sundaes,
    Sis-boom-bah!
    Boola-boola, sarsaparoolla,
    If you got chocolate, we'll take vanoola!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!

Rah! Rah! Rah!
    Frosts and malts that are peppered and salted,
    Sis-boom-bah!
    Oh, spumoni, oh, cartoni,
    And confidentially, we'll take baloney,
    Rah! Rah! Rah!

Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No luck on the sorbet. sorry. Maybe there are alternative lyrics to that same 1928 song, or a later cover?

7. d nice

d nice New Member

Are you sure it wasn't "Shoot the sherbert to me Herbert"? If so check out Bob Chester who fronted a Glenn Miller knock-off band for Tommy Dorsey. There is a story there as you can tell. :lol:

I'm not sure that is your song, but you might want to check it out.

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Rodie (from the former partnership Angie and Rodie from NY and featured on the cover of Smithsonian magazine) used this tune in a class, but I haven't been able to find it.

It definitely says, "Shoot the Sherbert (or Sorbet) to me Herbert".

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

FOUND IT!

Shoot The Sherbert To Me Herbert
    The Merry Macs 1939
    (Decca 2842-B mx 66496)

While the Merry Macs were one of the most popular vocal teams of the early 1940s, the group got its start in the mid 1920s when three high school age brothers Judd, Joe and Ted McMichael began performing in Minneapolis under the name "The McMichaels." In 1927 they were hired by bandleader Joe Haymes who changed their name to "The Personality Boys." They became known as the Merry Macs with the addition of vocalist Cheri McKay in 1930. McKay was replaced by Helen Carroll in 1938. Some of the group's best known recordings include "Mairzy Doats," "Praise The Lord and Pass The Ammunition" and "The Hut Sut Song." Ted McMichael passed away earlier this year at the age of 92.

I have always thought that the Merry Macs had a style that was very appropriate for the era. Listening to them conjures up images in my mind of streamlined trains and sleek art deco buildings.

The song "Red Wing" dates back to 1907 and has been performed in a number of musical genres over the years. Bob Wills recorded a western swing version and rockabilly star Sammy Masters had a successful 1959 recording of it under the name "Rockin' Red Wing."

"Shoot The Sherbert To Me Herbert" is a rather odd song - but this is a fun selection nevertheless. I especially enjoy the "boogie woogie" style piano solo and the vocal effects in the second half of the recording.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOURCE