Ballroom Dance > Nasty feet/shoe smell. How to deal?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 1, 2006.

1. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I second the last comment.

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

While they're still sweaty?

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if you shake some soda in there and let it sit then shake it out later it's all good

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Do you still do the comet thing?

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

periodically...it is still my best solution...granted, most of the time this in only on my shoes that have been demoted to practice in...I have my top-notch babies that are for comps only, my lesson shoes which I could compete in if I had to but have some wear and which I try to air out thoroughly so as to avoid extreme stench...and then there are my at home practice shoes, which I would die if anyone ever put near their face...I will periodically do the comet thing on lesson or practice shoes, should they live long enough to merit it...but I mention the soda since sam was worried about what absorbs into the skin...

6. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I guess no one here is a chemist. Do any of the following:
    1. Place charcoal powder in mouse size bags in the shoes. Charcoal is the most powerful dedorizer. Most ordor eaters have charcoal as the active ingredient.
    2. Ground coffee in a bag will also do. Frangrance shops use ground coffee to get rid of the smell of the perfume you tried
    3. Some specialty shops sell powders made from certain volcanic rocks

7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I've just found out that eBay sells mouse-size bambbo charcoal bags exactly for this purpose (in the search box, type charcoal +deodorizer). You can also Google (ground coffee +deodorizer) to find the powerful effect of coffee in removing smell.

8. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

contracheck, you are just full of useful information! you are quite a gem to this forum! :)

9. Ron deChasse

Ron deChasse New Member

Rather than absorbing the odors, try killing the bacteria that causes them. Seal your shoes in a ziploc bag and put them in the freezer overnight.

10. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

hmmm....that's an interesting one. think I'll have to try that...tho think dh may get a bit of a surprise when he goes into the freezer to make stuff for breakfast! *grin*

11. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Oh, no, freezing does not kill bacteria. If you thaw, bacteria come back to life happily. This is how you store bacteria, human cells, and sperms. Some people grow bacteria in a million-gallon fermenter to harvest a truckload of bacteria, then freeze them in a freezer for future use. For instance, this is how you make genetically engineered insulin. If you want to kill bacteria simply, expose the shoes to sun light or UV light, or wipe the shoes with strong Vodca. Moreover, I am not all that certain that bacteria are the real culprits of bad smell in this case, the situation is more complicated than bacteria.

12. Ron deChasse

Ron deChasse New Member

Vodka may be the better idea. Why not try both? I'll bet bacteria don't like being drunk and cold too.

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

If you drink enough vodka, the shoe smell probably won't bother you anymore. :)

14. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I've seen the freezer thing cited on this forum before. I don't think it works.

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Freezer didn't work for me.
    I think what has helped me most is to NOT put them in a shoebag, trapping the smell and moisture. They basically sit in my car outside the bag all the time, so they get plenty of air. And never wear the same shoes twice in a row. Giving them some time to recover.

16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

My men complain when I leave my shoes in the car. They say the car starts to smell like them if I do so, especially now that it is warm.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time for new shoes! ;)

18. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

After my partner choked and coughed on the stench of my shoes while helping me put on heel caps... I'm thinking I need to somehow deodorize them lol
    I just sprayed a bunch of febreeze in them. I think I need something stronger... Going to try the baking soda. These shoes could easily be considered dangerous weapons

ocean-daughter and Rhythmdancer like this.
  19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

DSW used to carry an aerosol show deodorant; it helped some.

20. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I use a product called Scoe 10X. Spray it on, scrub the inside of the shoe with an old toothbrush, let dry. Works for me.