General Dance Discussion > Need vs. Want -- What's a teacher to do?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Nov 12, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

My coach and I had an interesting conversation today about dance teaching philosophy. (I have a GREAT coach! :D )Here's how the conversation went. He, being the experienced professional, knows what I need to develop into a good dancer. I, on the other hand, have no idea what I need, but I know what I want so I can stay motivated and keep having fun. Unfortunately, the two don't always mesh. So where's the balance? Which is more important? Getting what you need as a student? Getting what you want? Is there a middle ground, or a way to do both? :?:

2. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Personally, I find the `needed' stuff far easier to do if I can see the connection between what is needed and what I want. I would ask my coach what the purposes of the excercises he's asking you to do are and what he expects ultimate and intermediate results to be. If you know intellectually that you're on the right path from where you are to where you want to be it can make even quite boring and repitious practice seem more worthwhile.
    That being said - it does do my mind good to just do something fun or challenging every now and then - paticularly when I'm having an off day.

Cheers
    Sarah

3. pygmalion

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this, to be honest. But I do think that a certain amount of blind faith in the teacher's experience and ability can be a good thing from time to time ....

4. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Faith, yes but I don't think faith has to be blind - if you can see that your coach has take other people to where you want to go, then I think you can trust him to do the same for you.
    My previous post was about what works for me - I tend to have a cycle of having to overintellectualise (if thats a word) before the physical stuff comes naturally.

Cheers
    Sarah

5. pygmalion

Yes to the overintellectualise! :lol: I do that too. Scientists and engineers must make some really challenging students. :lol:

And I'm not suggesting blind faith is a good thing, if overused. But from time to time, I may not be able to see a connection that my coach can. For example, my coach has some cool coil/recoil drills that he told me last year would improve my spins, if I practiced. I couldn't see it at all. But I practiced anyway. And things are starting to fall into place.

No, the teacher is not the pied piper with us blindly following whatever tune he/she cares to play. On the other hand, my coach at least has a whole lot more dance experience than I do. And to some extent, I just plain trust him. I see what's going on, ask intelligent questins, think for myself, and trust him. *shrug*

6. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Ah well - you see my primary dance teacher is an engineer! Anybody else out there talk about the lead-follow relationship in terms of gain and signal-to-noise ratio?

Cheers
    Sarah

7. pygmalion

Hey you forgot about loading effects and matching! :lol:

8. jon

jon Member

Almost every time I hear dance teachers using physics terminology, they use it incorrectly. It gets annoying after a while. Much like the constant misuse of "exponential growth" in the media. People should not use specific technical vocabulary from another field unless they actually understand what it means and how to apply it. Or, unless they're sure nobody with expertise in that field is listening :)

9. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Very good.
    Well done.
    Now you go and explain to my sensei that he's no longer allowed to use the term centrifugal force when I'm in the class. Pleeeeeeeeeeese!
    :lol:

Cheers
    Sarah

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

What, and let him beat me up??? No thank you! :wink:

Anyway, on the topic itself, my take is this... I am the customer, so I get to set the agenda as far as what I want. I would like to think that I am not a stupid customer however, so I leave it to the expert I am paying to tell me what I need to do to get where I want to go.

I mean seriously, how intelligent would it be for a firm to hire a consultant only to then turn around and dictate to the consultant what they want in their recommendations? Why hire a consultant in the first place? In a more sensible situation you hire the consultant and tell them your objectives, etc., and let them give you recommendations. Since you figured they were worth consulting for their opinion in the first place it is only at your own expense that you ignore their input. Nine times out of 10 a consultant will tell you what you need to do to achieve your stated goal... and the one time out of 10 when they suggest that a revision in goals may be in order... well, that's when you need to listen very closely!

NOTE: All of this assumes, of course, that you have done your homework and know that you are working with a qualified "consultant" -- not just taking as fact the recommendations of someone who advertises themselves as one :!:

11. pygmalion

Good point, SD. Blind faith can be a bit dangerous if you don't have a well qualified teacher. Maybe this is another one of those do your homework situations. That, and follow your instincts.

12. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hey pygmalion. Could you elaborate a bit more on coil/recoil drills to improve spins. I'm having a bit of problem with stationary continuous spins. I'm okay as long as I'm moving round the floor but when I'm spinning in place it becomes a problem. Can't get the momentum I need. Any tips?

13. pygmalion

Sure, peachexploration. But not in the open forum. I'll send you a PM and show you what I mean when I see you Sunday. Since my coach actually made the drills up himself, and is working on some instructional videos, I don't want to give away his secrets. 8)

14. Sarah

Sarah New Member

No, I'm sure he'd only use you for demonstration purposes - which is acknowledged to be a priviledge, you know. I'm sure he'd be smiling in a friendly manner too. :D

Cheers
    Sarah