Swing Discussion Boards > Neo - Swing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, May 10, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what is meant by this term; does it mean modern day swing?

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, I would say neo-swing is defined as the swing resurgence that took place a few years ago with bands like Brian Setzer, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Royal Crown Revue and the the Sqirrel Nut Zippers (to name a few). Many of these bands had Rockabilly roots.

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

You nailed it right on the head! Save for SNZ's (I like these guys a lot too, great fun!), it seems like a lot of the bands only wrote about one subject-BOOZE. The good thing that happened was that lots of people got interested in swing dancing of various sorts.

4. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Do we know what really started it?

Was the resurgence of the music that started everything else?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Started the dance resurgance, or the flood of bad musicians that followed? ;)

-FF

6. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

HAHAHAHHAHA

Both I guess, but let's focus on the dancing part! :lol:

7. d nice

d nice New Member

Neo Swsing refers to the music that was "Swing" inspired, but itself tended to owe more to the Punk and Ska backgrounds of the bands. The music they played was not usually Swing (capitol "S" to denote the big band genre of the 30's and 40's) but more of a blend of Jump Blues and Rock-A-Billy.

8. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I see, thank you. Was it this music that started the resurgance of swing popularity? I wasn't dancing around this time... what was the swing scene like before Neo-Swing? Was it different than it is today?

9. d nice

d nice New Member

Yes and no. The bands came about because of the renenwed interest in the dance, music, and culture of the time period (everything that is old is new again). There was already a collection of dance scenes in various cities. Various musicians got wind of it and created bands of like minded people who could give their modern interpretation of this piece of Americana. When the bands came more people came with them.

What was the scene like at this time? Lots of people wearing their grand parents clothes. Lots of men learning how to be gentlemen. Buying drinks, holding doors, pulling out chairs, and dressing with fashion... true it was a afshion more than fifty years out of date, but it was finally fashion. Women wearing glamerous dresses, applying glamerous makeup, and drinking glamerous drinks, MArtinis and Cosmopolitans were flowing. There were also those who came to be seen. They wore their dressy attire, bought copious drinks and stared at the bands and dancers until enough liquid courage had been consumed. Then they, libations in hand hit the floor. Usually after hitting a few dancers, each other a music stand and the occassional trombone player.

Before this it was underground. You had to know where to go, when, and only by knowing the right people. Whether you were hitting warehouse parties, with a small band, retro diners or bars with cover bands, or places where older people gathered at nightclubs or social clubs where big bands played various Swing and foxtrot tunes.

10. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

This isn't even my scene, but I love hearing this history!