Salsa > New Marc Anthony Album - Mended

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Enthusiast, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Enthusiast

Enthusiast New Member

Has anyone gotten a chance to listen to the new Marc Anthony album? How danceable are the tracks? I see it is being promoted as being his second English album. Personally, I like the Spanish tracks better in most cases.
    Marc Anthony website
    [​IMG]

2. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ok folks, this was the last post on page 83 of this forum and no one responded to it. Does anyone know who this guy even is? Is the Album mentioned any good? What style of music is it?

3. tj

tj New Member

I believe he's the guy Boriken is planning on

"taking care of".... :wink:

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You don't know Marc Anthony?! :shock: One of the hottest, most rockin' latin singers!
    I bought "Mended" when it first came out (2002!) along with his 2001 Spanish "Libre". BOTH are EXCELLENT. The last track on each album is "Tragedy"("Tragedia" on "Libre") and both versions of this song kick! I highly recommend it. You'll find several FANTASTIC tunes for salsa dancing on both albums. :D

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Whoa! This is one of the earliest posts on the Dance Forums back when we had like 10 posts (total!). :lol:

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My Latin Styling group class teacher uses 2 selections from this album a lot. We do a very fast mambo warm-up to Love Won't Get Any Better, and a cha cha sequence to Tragedy.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Absolutely great artist.

Just so happens, this morning in our newpaper, there was a critique of the newest album - Amar sin Mentiras. Here are some excerpts:

"Marc Anthony's enormous, just-this-side of overwrought voice was a big part or what made his heart-broken salsa hits so appealing and successful. Musically and emotionally always about to explode, he's electrifying."

"... his ballads are not as convincing as his salsa."

" . . . formulaic, turgid, melody-deficient songs."

". . . sounds unconvincing without some rhythmic urgency behind him - as if he doesn't believe what he's singing anymore."

" . . . the duet with his new wife [Jennifer Lopez] is a weird swoon."

"Occasionally, on a track like "Valio la pena" [It was worth the pain], which has little rhythmic oomph, he captures some interest. But most of his record is calulated, empty pop fodder."

Since this is my wife's (Care) favorite singer, I'll pick up the album for her, as she will not have anything but "great" things to say about Marc Anthony. When he divorced his former wife, Care was broken-hearted when he didn't "call her."

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Thanx for the info on the new album, Vince! I'm sure they'll have it at my favorite little CD shop in the city! :D

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You're welcome . . . I already stopped at one store on the way home from work - the album has come in yet!

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yes I am gonna take care of this dude!!! :twisted:

Vince, get your wife to call marc, and I'll call Jenn... :D :D

11. DancePoet

I heard a Mark Anthony tune last night!

Imagine my surprise at the coincidence of having lifted this thread from the very back of DF to ask those questions, and then asking the woman who I was dancing with if she knew who was singing?

And he's married to Jennifer Lopez? Where the heck have I been?

Oh, right, dancing! In fact, I need to get ready to go again now. :)

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Obviously, you haven't been grocery shopping in the past six months, either. Marc and Jenn have been check-out line tabloid fodder most of this year. I won't contribute to spreading the gossip. Let's just say it was quite juicy for a while, but the two had a quiet wedding a month or so ago. Best wishes to the happy couple. 8)

13. DancePoet

DH dissing SPS? Naughty, naughty, must becareful (shaking his finger in your general direction). ;) I do my own grocery shopping, and ignore those obnoxious looking tabloids to prevent the need for wrinkle cream around my eyes, deary. I loose that look from my eyes and the girls just won't pay attention to me any longer. (Do I sound like a pimp yet?)

(I can just imagine someone reading the threads on DF for the first time, and thinking I'm off the wall because they don't see how it ties in to other silly humor elsewhere on these threads. And this won't be the last time it happens.)

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Moi? Dis you? Never! (You're missing out on my pointedly innocent look, here. What a pity. :wink: :lol: )

15. DancePoet

I was already imagining you look before reading it! Very funny! :)